Grade 12- £70,572-£79,251pa
The London Borough of Havering is looking to recruit a Head of Procurement & Contract Management to run its strategic procurement team.
In this senior management role reporting to the Director of Finance you will be developing the existing team to delivering high quality service to the borough in both a pre and post contract signature capacity. You should be adept at fostering a positive and flexible environment and one which embraces continuous improvement. Preferably, you should hold a CIPS level 6 qualification and have extensive public procurement experience; however, we are open to considering equivalent practical experience. You should demonstrate substantial expertise in handling complex, high-value procurements and contracts, with a history of delivering successful, cost-effective outcomes and dispute resolution. Strong leadership skills to develop and motivate your team to achieve excellent performance is also essential.
If successful in your application for the role at, London Borough of Havering, your core responsibilities are to/to be:
- lead and manage the procurement team to ensure that the Council obtains the best prices for goods and services, whilst also maintaining high quality customer service standards.
- responsible for developing and implementing procurement and contract management strategies, policies, procedures, and best practices, as well as for monitoring supplier performance and managing vendor relationships.
- develop and implement procurement and contract management strategies, policies, procedures and best practices.
- monitor procurement performance against targets, budgets, and timelines.
- negotiate contracts and agreements with suppliers and vendors to achieve costs savings and improve quality.
- manage supplier relationships, monitor vendor performance, and resolve issues as needed.
- lead the procurement team, providing guidance, support, and training to ensure that procurement processes are efficient, effective and compliant.
- collaborate with Directorates and stakeholders to understand their procurement needs and develop solutions that meet their requirements.
- monitor market trends and conditions to identify opportunities for cost savings and process improvements.
- evaluate and recommend new suppliers and vendors in alignment with the Council’s goals, objectives and strategy.
- ensure compliance with procurement law, and applicable regulations and policies.
As one of the greenest boroughs in London, resourcefulness is in our nature. We don’t wait to be told, we take the initiative. We face the future head-on, embracing new challenges with open minds and fresh ideas. There’s lots of opportunities to progress here, and if you seize them we’ll support you all the way. Choose Havering and see the difference you’ll make to the people that live, work and learn here.
From caring for those who need it most, to ensuring our highways and streets are safe, providing a roof over the heads of our residents, providing excellent customer service or, enhancing our digital services for staff and residents, there are so many ways you can make a positive influence here. And, whether you’re outdoorsy, people-focused or analytical, we have a role that’s right for you.
Please view Job Profile here
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Julia.Blow@havering.gov.uk
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 27/11/23, however interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
You will be notified if your application has been successful. Interview date to be confirmed.
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Helpdesk on 01708 432770.
We want everyone to choose Havering. When you apply for a job with us, your application is considered on its merits regardless of your age, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender identity or sexual orientation. Our residents and service users come from all walks of life, and so do our employees. Find out what it means to Choose Havering.
The London Borough of Havering has important responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. If you are appointed to a job that involves working with these groups, you may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Please attach your supporting statement, explaining in no more than x2 A4 sides why and how you meet the criteria for this role.
We practice anonymised recruitment. Please ensure that you remove all personal information from any documents that you upload.