This is an exciting time to join our Building Control team! We’re a new local authority, created in April 2021. Since April 2023 the Building Control team have come together to cover the whole of the West Northamptonshire Council area so there is plenty of opportunity to develop processes, and shape our offering so we can provide the best possible service to our customers.
For more information, please contact Ruth on Ruth.Austen@westnorthants.gov.ukOur benefits
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days annual leave per year, 29 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Professional subscriptions / registration - if your job description requires that you are registered with or are a member of a professional body, WNC will pay for your professional subscription or membership fees
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference - If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people's lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
Working alongside our colleagues in the busy Building Control team, you’ll be processing the registration, validation and processing of applications coming into the team, processing street naming/house numbering applications and dealing with street nameplate requests. You’ll be dealing with enquiries on the phone and by email and providing support to the team of inspectors who carry out building site inspections.About you
You don’t need experience across all aspects of the job as that will form part of your development journey, but you will need experience of dealing with phone calls and high volumes of emails, as this is the central to the role.
You’ll need to have a solution driven and adaptable approach to working, thrive in a busy environment with a positive approach to challenges!
Ideally you will have previous experience of MS Office software and GIS mapping systems. You will be a good communicator, able to deal with customer enquiries, keeping calm and being able use your own initiative to ensure that urgent requests are prioritised and referred to the correct team member. You’ll use your great attention to detail to ensure that applications are correctly recorded
If you’ve got experience with the DEF MasterGov back-office system, that’s great, but not essential; being customer focused and able to deal with a range of different enquiries, are most important.About us
We're a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government reform in recent history. As a new authority, we're embarking on an exciting journey to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and communities.
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is 'to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive'. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance, Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver services.
Hear more from Anna Earnshaw, our Chief Executive, about working for West Northants Council: https://youtu.be/lV0EfeUF4aU
At West Northants Council, it's about our people. People who thrive with ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail, and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-minded people.
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.