West Northamptonshire Council is currently seeking to appoint a Housing Enforcement Officer to join its successful Private Sector Housing Team. The Housing Enforcement Officer will have a varied workload across reactive private sector housing complaints, private sector housing enforcement, and the licensing and inspection of Houses in Multiple Occupation.
The Team have been turning heads and getting results in ensuring that the Private Rented Sector is providing safe and sustainable accommodation, unsafe and unlicensed properties are brought back into compliance, and that those who seek to benefit from criminal, rogue and irresponsible behaviours are dealt with in line with the Council’s enforcement regime.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the team and support the Councils objectives 'Creating strong and resilient communities that provide opportunities for growth to empower and enable residents to live safe health and enriched lives' for the residents of the West Northamptonshire.Our benefits
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days annual leave per year, 29 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Payment of professional subscription / membership - If your job description requires that you are registered with or are a member of a professional body, WNC will pay for your professional subscription or membership fees.
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference - If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people's lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
The successful candidate will be working across the Private Sector Housing functions and will regularly
- Undertake inspections of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) using the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to identify disrepair, other non-compliance with local and statutory requirements and breaches of management standards.
- Provide clear and detailed advice in response to queries about the HMO licence application and enforcement of complex legislation and management regulations to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Prepare licence documentation and schedules which set out works required to bring properties up to statutory and council standards.
- Take action where necessary to ensure compliance with relevant legislation, including the preparation and service of statutory notices, orders and demands in accordance with prescribed forms and procedures.
- Carry out investigations of unlicensed HMO premises, working with multi agency partners as necessary, and collate evidence to support advice and for enforcement purposes.
- Working with key partners including the Police, Fire and Rescue, Immigration, HMRC and others, to ensure residents are safeguarded and afforded safe accommodation
- Prepare paperwork for civil penalty offences and for prosecutions, give evidence at Court in the formal enforcement of statutory notices.
- Prepare papers and legal statements, and represent the Council in First Tier Tribunal-Property Chamber (Residential Property) appeals and provide expert witness evidence.
To be successful in the role you will already hold,
- A degree in Environmental Health or related subject, or be able to demonstrate at least 3 years experience in Private Sector Housing regulation;
- Certificate of competency in application of the HHSRS regime;
- Knowledge of the Housing Act 2004, the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), and the local authorities regulatory and enforcement powers in relation to HMOs and private sector housing conditions
- Significant experience in applying the Housing Act 2004, including preparing enforcement cases through to First Tier Tribunal or Magistrates Court
In addition, you will have;
- Confidence and passion to succeed in ensuring that our residents have safe and sustainable accommodation across the private rented sector
For further information regarding the role please contact Chris Stopford, Head of Private Sector Housing, email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAbout us
We’re a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government reform in recent history. As a new authority, we’re embarking on an exciting journey to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and communities.
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is ‘to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive’. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance, Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver services.
Hear more from our Chief Executive, Anna Earnshaw, about what it's like to work at West Northants Council https://youtu.be/lV0EfeUF4aU
At West Northants Council, it’s about our people. People who thrive with ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail, and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-minded people.
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.