We are seeking a number of exceptional individuals to join us as Accountants in our Financial Management team. These roles are an exciting opportunity to be part of developing a new team at a challenging time for Thurrock Council. Thurrock is an organisation that is changing at pace, one where you can make a real difference in the lives of the people we serve. We are looking for motivated individuals with a drive to realise our ambitions for the organisation and the borough.
Salary: £35,982 to £41,463 per annum (pro rata – only if part time)
37 Hours per Week - Hybrid Working
Thurrock Council’s Finance team is undergoing huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. The Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. The team will be working alongside DLUHC appointed Commissioners to deliver the improvements required. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances.
The Financial Management and Procurement team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans. Whilst we recognise there is still a lot to be done to re-establish itself with its members, the community, and other stakeholders this is an exciting time to join our team and play your part in a team whose ambition is to have a truly positive and transformational impact on the future of the Council and the community. We want to create a legacy we can all be proud of!
An exciting opportunity has arisen as part of a restructure of the department to join the Finance team, as an Accountant.
What you will be doing:
- Working with the Finance Manager to provide a comprehensive financial business partnering service to specified Council Directorates.
- Working with Budget Managers to assist with costing activities and help identify and confirm areas of potential pressures and savings.
- Anticipating and identifying financial issues affecting the business, help managers to ensure net expenditure is within budget, escalating any business issues not resolved by Service Managers
- Contributing to regular monthly meeting with business areas to challenge and scrutinise (offer critical evaluation of) monitoring figures.
- Undertaking service analysis to support the year-end position and the Accounts.
- Working with the Commercial and Strategic and Corporate Finance Teams to produce robust financial and commercial analysis as required including for business cases.
- Contributing to financial modelling of new services or changes to existing services, work with business area and/or third parties to enhance financial and business performance.
- Providing support to Budget Managers during budget preparation, monthly monitoring, year/end closure of accounts, help them to understand the financial information required and processes to be followed.
- Contributing advice on application and interpretation of financial regulations and standing orders and the Council’s financial procedures and practices
What you’ll have:
- Full CCAB accounting qualification or part qualified and actively studying for qualification.
- Demonstrable commitment to continuous professional development.
- Authoritative knowledge of relevant work areas, and a well-developed knowledge of working in a complex organisation.
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to shape the service successfully and play a leading role.
- Leave a successful legacy both within the council and community
- Have a role that will truly challenge you and that will fulfil your own ambitions.
Our Offer to you:
Thurrock is a fantastic place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year + Bank holidays - rising to 30 days after 5 years' service.
- Fantastic defined benefits pension scheme – Home | Essex Pension Fund
- Flexible / hybrid working opportunities to promote work-life balance
- Wellbeing initiatives
Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks.
Please note a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for this post.
Advert Closing Date:
- Redeployment Only: 17 November 2023
- Internal & External: 24 November 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 13th December 2023
Development centre assessment would be part of the process.
Contact for any additional questions or information about this role:
Michael Thomas, Interim Financial Adviser, email: Michael.Thomas@Thurrock.gov.uk
To view the Job Profile and Person Specification please follow the link below: