Part Time (18.5 Hours) - Permanent
Do you have a passion for good customer service? The Housing Needs Service is looking for a professional and enthusiastic person to join our innovative Housing Needs Service. We are looking for an ambitious and motivated person to join a busy team who deliver basic front line housing advice to customers and provide office support to the Homelessness Prevention Team.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Occasional home working may be permitted but please note this role is based at the civic centre in central Reading due to the needs of the Service. Please note that we are looking to recruit at the start of the pay grade.
About the role
You will work as part of the Housing Needs Customer Access Team, assessing those in housing need and working closely with the Homelessness Prevention team to ensure customers receive timely and thorough advice and support. The role requires a professional, efficient and collaborative approach during a very busy time for the Housing Needs Service.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The successful candidate:
- Will be passionate about ensuring excellent customer service for residents who are homeless or in housing need.
- Be a highly motivated person that is precise and methodical in their approach.
- Have a good attention to detail
- Be able to manage their own workload
- Will work well as part of a team
Previous experience in housing or working with the relevant legislation is not essential to apply for this position.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Katy Long, Housing Advice Support Team Leader at email@example.com
Closing Date: Tuesday 28th November 2023
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Depending on the number of applicants there may be an initial phone call or group session prior to interview.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.