We currently have two exciting opportunities within the Council’s Legal Services Team.
Recruiting to the posts of Housing Solicitor/Legal Executive and Contracts and Procurement Solicitor/Legal Executive, the Council are seeking to expand its motivated and highly professional team by welcoming individuals who are committed to excellence in their work and have demonstrable experience.
If successful, you will not only focus on your own specialisms but will also have the opportunity to work in other areas of the Legal Services team as needed, providing timely and effective specialist advice to elected Members, Committees and Officers across the Council.
This is a valuable and unique opportunity for both post holders to develop all-round experience in Local Government legal practice and become an integral part of the team.
Housing Solicitor / Legal Executive – PO2
With appropriate supervision and training, this role will focus on providing Housing advice to the Council, its Officers and Members.
The main duties will include:
- Providing advice to Council, elected Members and the Council’s Housing Department on all matters relating to Housing management and litigation.
- Managing a varied caseload of complex and substantial legal work including, but not limited to, Housing Policy, tenancy matters, Housing Disrepair, Possession, Succession, unauthorised occupancy, Injunctions, Homelessness and Allocations, Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB), Statutory Compliance, Judicial Review, and general housing management matters.
- Managing and advising on matters across a range of contentious local government functions and assisting as necessary on non-contentious matters.
Contracts / Procurement Solicitor / Legal Executive – PO2
This role will focus on providing Contracts and/or Procurement advice to the Council, its Officers and Members.
The main duties, with appropriate supervision and training, will include:
- Providing advice and support on matters relating to contracts and/or procurement to the Council, its Officers and Members.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, providing advice regarding risks relating to proposed procurements and providing support on corporate projects.
- Delivering practical and high-calibre legal advice to client departments and ensuring that they are aware of, and are able to comply with, lawful requirements in a transparent manner.
Both roles, with appropriate training, will involve:
- Contributing to the preparation of Committee Reports and attendance at Council and Committee meetings from time to time as directed and required.
- Providing pragmatic advice across a range of Local Government work, providing appropriate solutions that are legally and constitutionally compliant.
- Undertaking research and providing advice to the Council in the areas of Housing and Contract / Procurement law specifically, and Local Government law generally.
Some background in the above areas is required for each post, otherwise all levels of experience will be considered. Prior Local Government experience is desirable but not required.
You will be flexible and willing to train in and assist with new areas of law related to the above roles.
You will be expected to demonstrate your ability to use judgement and initiative, to work as part of a team, to problem solve and to effectively manage your caseload. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are also essential.
The roles allow for a flexible combination of home and office working. You may also be required to undertake site visits. Attendance at team-meetings would normally be expected via Teams but there will also be a requirement to attend in-person meetings from time to time.
In addition, flexible working arrangements are offered to support a positive home / work balance and an attractive annual leave entitlement supplements this further.