Our Technical Support team is the engine room that supports the entire Planning Service. Our Support Officers are the interface with the council’s Customer Services team and provide high quality communication and technical advice to our service users. The team registers and validates all planning applications and is responsible for leading our programme of process review, our system updates as well as driving and monitoring our overall service performance.
As a Technical Support Officer, your main role is to make sure everyone – customers, the public, both internal and external stakeholders (including our Councillors) – receive high quality, consistent and efficient support for the effective administration and performance management of the Planning Service.
You will play a key role in supporting the Technical Support Manager, Technical Support Team Leaders and all other members of the Planning Service in their role and duties.Our benefits
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days annual leave per year, 29 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Payment of professional subscription / membership - If your job description requires that you are registered with or are a member of a professional body, WNC will pay for your professional subscription or membership fees.
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference - If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people's lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
You will play a vital role in ensuring the Planning Service provides a high quality service to all of its customers and meets its corporate performance standards. This involves handling customer data in compliance with GDPR and processing payments for planning applications in line with Council procedures.
You'll support the entire Planning Service and will be involved in various processes such as application registration, validation and preparing support for planning appeals.
Additionally, you'll assist the Planning Policy team during peak consultation periods and will contribute to process improvements, system reviews, and various strategic initiatives as needed.About you
You will need a genuine interest in the planning environment and an interest in ensuring our community in West Northants thrives.
Our ideal person will have experience working in a busy customer focused area and have fantastic communication skills as you will engage with the public and handle their feedback, making sure everything aligns with our corporate standards. Plus, you'll pitch in with process improvements, communications strategies, and training programs. In planning, we are passionate about people, places and sustainability.
We balance development to support new housing and jobs with protecting the environment for future generations and our commitment to net zero by 2030. We want to create an outstanding natural environment, fit for future generations. If this is something that you feel excited about, we’d love to hear from you!About us
We’re a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government reform in recent history. As a new authority, we’re embarking on an exciting journey to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and communities.
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is ‘to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive’. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance, Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver services.
Hear more from our Chief Executive, Anna Earnshaw, about what it's like to work at West Northants Council https://youtu.be/lV0EfeUF4aU
At West Northants Council, it’s about our people. People who thrive with ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail, and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-minded people.
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.