Salary: Band 5 - £22,437 - £24,148 p.a.
37 hours per week (Monday - Thursday 08:30 - 17:00, Friday 08:30 - 16:00)
The purpose of our service is “to help keep the city safe, clean and tidy and provide advice/support when needed”
Why work for us?
• Make a difference to your community
• Join a large and dynamic organization
• No weekend or bank holiday working
• Local government pension scheme
What is the role?
• Carrying out inspections on blocks of flats, communal areas, play sites, parking sites and garages ensuring they are maintained in a safe, clean, and tidy condition, identify and report repairs that are required; routinely carrying out minor repairs to housing communal areas, such as changing light bulbs which will require the use of ladders.
• Communicating with residents in person, on the phone and in writing.
• Using word templates to issue letters to residents, following correct procedures regarding letter and report writing.
• Reporting and logging incidents of anti-social behaviour.
• Responding to calls and listening to residents to gain an understanding of the situation / circumstances.
• Reacting to problems appropriately and when necessary challenging resident behaviour.
• Speaking to tenants and leaseholders regarding the correct disposal of black bags and bulk items with a view to re-educating those who are not disposing of these items in the correct way. Educating residents about recycling.
• This is not an office-based role, and you will need to be able to walk up several flights of stairs, move refuse bins and access bins to investigate waste.
• This is a varied and challenging role that involves dealing with a wide section of the local community and other external agencies such as the police as well as putting you in close contact with numerous departments within Portsmouth City Council, so your ability to work in partnership with others will be paramount.
Who is the person?
You need to:
1. Have experience of working with the public and be comfortable visiting customers in their home.
2. Have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels from residents to Councillors, social services, and staff across Portsmouth City Council.
3. Have a proactive approach when dealing with and identifying issues in the area, engaging with customers, in a calm and tactful manner, and challenging behaviours when necessary.
4. Be able to work independently and as part of a team, using your own initiative and judgement in order to find appropriate and effective solutions.
5. Be able to identify or consider other resources available to you to help you achieve results for our customers.
6. Be able to carry out minor repairs to housing communal areas, such as changing light bulbs which may require the use of ladders.
7. Be able and prepared to help support our customers as needed, for example, climb stairs and move refuse bins and bulky items.
8. Be comfortable using a variety of IT systems such as Word, Outlook, and Excel.
9. Be prepared for or have experience of a physically challenging role where you will mostly be travelling the estate on foot, moving items of furniture, and carrying out repairs.
10. The ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
A full UK driving license is essential for this role.
If working off island you will be required to use your own vehicle for work purposes.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the 'Who is the Person' points with the use of examples from your experience and attach this as a cover letter in the Supporting Documents section. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. Please click here for the full job profile.
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- A generous pension scheme
- Up to 31 days annual leave per year + bank holidays
- Flexible / hybrid working
- A range of retail discounts via our reward portal offering discounts at retailers including IKEA, Currys, Tesco
- Free Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and wellbeing support
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities including apprenticeships
- Potential to purchase additional annual leave
- Business travel support and initiatives, including bike loans
Please click here for all the benefits of working with us!
Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact email@example.com