We have been investing in new technologies such as the latest generation of firewalls, Cisco switching and Wi-Fi 6E access points, with SD-Access. We’re installing this ourselves which has allowed time to learn and set it up. There is external training too, if required. Also, the team is very collaborative, with engineers supporting each other as needed.
We also need someone to help use up our Cisco learning credits!
The IT infrastructure of Bracknell Forest Council is the main pillar of how the Council delivers to our residents. The Network Team at Bracknell Forest Council look after all aspects of Network Architecture, Strategy, Design, Implementation, and support of the enterprise network environment. This is an opportunity join us and shape the environment going forward.
What it’s like working in our team…
The Network Team is an extremely rewarding place to gain exposure to the latest enterprise network technologies.
Since you are working for an end user in-sourced consumer of IT services rather than an IT service provider, you will work directly with our ‘customers’ in a transparent manner without a customer- service provider relationship. So, things tend to be less contentious since we are ‘all on the same side’.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
You will be required to work ‘shifts’ between 08:00-17:30 (the council’s core business hours), Monday to Friday, and this is open to negotiation with the rest of the team on a day-to-day basis.
Even though this is a hybrid role with most office visits being planned due to project-related activities, there’s the need to attend Council sites in a timely manner at short notice to resolve network faults and outages. A driving licence is essential.
Some out of hours work will be required to support network changes and maintenance with least disruption to council services.
A minimum of a day a week in the office should be expected.
The benefits you will experience are…
- Generous annual leave entitlement (33 days after 3 years continuous local government service)
- Average salary pension scheme
- An inclusive and social working environment
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre
- Internal sports and social club opportunities
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership
- Supermarket discount
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket
What we’re looking for…
To be suitable for the role, you would fit the following profile:
- Thoughtful, thorough and conscientious
- Self-starter, with ability to take ownership and engagement in the work
- Excellent time management skills
- Driven, proactive and able to work autonomously with little supervision towards the company’s purpose
- Critical thinking and ability to show initiative
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Multiple years of networking experience operating in an Enterprise IT environment including Cisco switches, routers, and firewalls; Routing protocols such as OSFP and BGP
- Strong understanding of networking protocols, network hardware, software, and network security. Ability to translate business request into network solutions and then implement and operate those network solutions
- Ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in a clear and concise manner
- Strong analytical skills and be able to identify, troubleshoot and solve complex problems related to network infrastructure
- Knowledge of Next Generation firewall technology
- Hands on experience with LANs, WANs, VPNs, Firewalls and Wireless
- Holder of network certifications to Cisco CCNP level or equivalent level from other network vendors.
- Demonstratable hands on experience with a majority of the following:
- Cisco switches (VSS, VPC, EtherChannel) and firewalls, Cisco, FortiGate or Palo Alto Firewalls, Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi Access points, Cisco ISE, Cisco SD-Access, Wi-Fi site surveying.
Interviews will be held on 30th October 2023.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Tel: 01344 351966
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
We can only accept applications from candidates currently residing in the UK.
Any candidates that are currently residing in the UK and wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please include a personal statement with your CV as an attachment specifying why you are applying for this vacancy.