Local Taxation Inspector
Salary: Band: 6, £24,148 - £27,852 p.a
37 hours per week
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we're all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority's main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your new role
The Local Taxation team manages the billing and collection of Council tax and non-domestic rates. Within this role you will ensure that liability to pay Council tax and none-domestic rates are identified, and that discounts, exemptions and reliefs are appropriately applied.
Some of the areas the role will focus on include:
- Inspect new and altered dwellings / hereditaments to ensure council tax and non-domestic records and the valuation lists are accurately maintained.
- Inspect properties to verify discounts, exemptions and reliefs.
- Report changes to properties to the Valuation Office Agency and liaise regarding discrepancies or enquiries about reports or changes to the rating and Council tax lists.
- Work proactively to ensure all hereditaments within the city are identified and bills are issued in a timely manner
- Use Analyse Local and RV finder for reporting purposes and bill checking
- Have responsibility for monitoring daily workload and schedules
- Request PRN's for new properties
- Balancing weekly schedules received from the Valuation Office Agency
- Deal with enquiries by correspondence, telephone and face to face with regards local taxes
- Dealing with FOI requests and general queries
What you'll need to succeed
You will have good communication, excellent customer service skills and be able to demonstrate experience of working within a busy customer facing environment. The post holder will need to have good knowledge of council tax and non-domestic rates administration or experience in a similar role. Some knowledge of planning matters would be advantageous; however, training will be provided. You will need to be flexible and adaptable with experience of working with customers, some of whom may not be happy with your recommendations as you will be required to review situations where the outcome is unclear and make decisions based on legislation and local policy. Experience of lone working would be an advantage as you will spend amounts of your time working away from the office.
Please read the job profile for the full details of this role
What you'll get in return
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- Generous annual leave (27 days per year rising to 31, pro rata for part time hours) with the potential to purchase additional leave.
- A fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return.
- Flexible working hours.
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities including apprenticeships.
- Extensive wellbeing support through the Employee Assistance Programme
- Discount on travel, travel loans and the bike loan scheme
- Discounts on a wide range of goods and services – access a range of discounts and offers from thousands of restaurants, shops and more.
Staff rewards: https://careers.portsmouth.gov.uk/working-for-the-council/
Please read the full job profile (click here) for further details on the post to ensure your application matches the requirements of the role stated in the who is the person.
Remember to demonstrate why you are suitable against each of the points described in the 'Who is the Person' points on the Job Profile using examples from your experience or transferable skills. This might be through qualifications or descriptive examples from your work / personal experience, which clearly illustrates what you did and the effect it had. You may wish to attach an additional letter or document to supplement you application. Applicants will be shortlisted based on their ability to use good examples that meet the criteria of this role.
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
Closing date: 27 September 2023 @ 23:59 pm
We will email applicants from time to time; please ensure you check e-mail folders as sometimes our e-mails may go into spam/junk folders.
Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact email@example.com