About the Role
The Mid Kent Waste Partnership, comprising of Maidstone, Ashford and Swale Borough Councils, is launching its new joint waste contract in March 2024. This is an exciting new contract which will offer improvements to the waste and street cleansing services across the three boroughs, increasing recycling rates and utilising technology to improve the customer’s experience.
The Partnership is looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to help lead them through the mobilisation phase and ongoing delivery of the services. You will work alongside the three authorities’ waste management teams to ensure the contract is managed effectively and service improvements are delivered.
You need to have excellent organisational and planning skills, with the ability to work on own initiative and use expert knowledge to provide direction to all Partners. Experience of waste management is desirable, but not essential.
You should have experience of contract management and key frontline services delivering high standards of performance.
The role is based within the Environmental Services Team at Maidstone, reporting to the Head of Environment and Public Realm. However, you will need to spend time working closely with the teams at Ashford and Swale to ensure the priorities of all Partners can be met.
You will need to hold a Full British Driving Licence.
About Maidstone Borough Council
Maidstone Borough Council is a confident organisation with ambition and aspirations to deliver high quality services to our residents and local businesses. We strive to make the borough an attractive place for all and secure a successful economy. We continue to build on our strengths - assets, knowledge and expertise and our track record for innovation and improvement to create a financially sustainable future so that we can continue with our undiminished plans.
We will only achieve the results we are aiming for through the talents and hard work of all our people. You are encouraged to become part of our vision and in return you can expect support, training, and fair reward from us. We will give you the opportunity to develop the skills to do your job well and create a positive working environment where your ideas about improving how we do things are valued and we manage the changes needed for new ways of working well.
At Maidstone Borough Council we recognise the importance of flexible working and the benefits this can bring to both our staff and the Council. We know that by offering employees a range of flexible working opportunities we can positively impact their wellbeing and engagement, and drive productivity in return. As such we have developed a highly flexible hybrid working policy, alongside our flexi time and flexible working policies, enabling staff to shape their working patterns around building a greater work life balance.
A range of benefits including:
- Highly flexible hybrid working opportunities
- 7am to 7pm flexi time to suit personal circumstances for most roles
- Generous holiday entitlement which increases after 5 years LG service plus bank holidays with the option to buy additional leave.
- Additional 3 days leave given to enable a close down of the offices between Christmas and New year.
- Free parking
- Range of flexible working opportunities to accommodate people’s home/work life balance including compressed hours, 9-day fortnight, part time.
- Invitations to staff events to celebrate success and support wellbeing that include holistic therapies and outdoor activities
- Employee Assistance Programme which provides confidential & independent information and access to counsellors
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) with valuable life cover and financial protection for your family.
- Life Assurance – three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand-new car. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax.
- Annual flu vaccine
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff benefits discounts on leisure, eating out, holidays and shopping
- Excellent learning and career opportunities for committed individuals
- A professional fee payment, if required for the role
You will be educated to A-level with experience of a service delivery environment.
You should have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with a wide range of individuals and communicate information clearly and concisely.
Ideally you would have experience of waste management and managing contracts.
You should be assertive and proactive with a commitment to high standards of service delivery and the ability to find innovative solutions and develop creative ideas.
Please review the Person Specification for this role for a full list of skills, experience and knowledge required.
Following the submission of your application form, it will be reviewed by the recruiting manager. Those that are successful in securing an interview can expect job specific interview assessment, followed by an interview.
Maidstone Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employee and volunteers to share this commitment.
Maidstone Borough Council has a Sponsor License which enables successful candidates in eligible roles to be sponsored for work Visa purposes.
If you would like to discuss this position, please contact Jennifer Stevens, Head of Environment and Public Realm on 01622 602400.
To apply for the position please visit https://www.maidstone.gov.uk/jobs and complete the online application form or by phone on 01622 602555.
Interview Date: week commencing 6 November 2023
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.