- Hertford / Stevenage
- Salary Range
- £23,620 progressing to £26,845
- Contract Type
- Full Time/Part Time
- Full Time
- Closing Date
Job Title: Controls Officer
Location: Hertford (Hybrid)
Starting Salary: £23,620 with the opportunity to progress to £26,845 - Pay increase pending
Hours: 37 per week
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
We are looking for 3 hardworking, organised, self-motivated individuals to work with Controls Team Leader in Financial Transactions.
This is a major time of change shaping the council’s approach to back-office financing which will support the HR/Payroll and Income & Debt Teams.
These are operational roles that are responsible for all tasks in relation to:
- Prepare and process monthly / end-of-year payments
- Prepare and file monthly / end-of-year returns
- General Ledger account reconciliation and reporting specific to the role. Query any unknown postings and rectify as appropriate
- Act as a helpline to our stakeholders, liaise with HMRC
Close payroll and produce Salary & Third Party BACS Payments, Recovery of Payroll Costs (RPC), Payroll Journals & Reporting, National Statistics Returns
HMRC – Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Real Time Information (RTI), P60’s, P11D’s & P11D(b) Class 1A NIC’s Due, PAYE Settlement Agreement (PSA), Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), Apprenticeship Levy
Pension Scheme Payments & Returns for Fire & Rescue, Local Government, National Health Service, NOW, Teachers Pensions
- General Ledger Account Reconciliation and Reporting
- Supporting Audits for HR/Payroll and Finance
- Supporting the End of Year/Start of Year, Annual System Patch and Country Legal Changes (CLC) Process
- Able to follow strict deadlines and adhere to them
- Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Any other associated tasks
- A level of understanding and expertise with financial applications
- Ability to investigate and solve problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Grade 5 & above in Maths and English
- Experience of working in a Payroll or Finance team (preferable not essential)
- IT skills – SAP (preferable but not essential) Microsoft Tools Excel, Word, Teams
This is an exciting time to join a team embarking on transformation, which presents great opportunities to shape how the service will be delivered going forward. If this sounds like the opportunity for you, we would love to hear from you!
Closing Date: 21.09.2023
Interview Date: 28.09.2023
For an informal discussion and more information please contact:
Jacqueline Baker-Neilson (01992 555 6284)
Benefits of working for us:
• Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
• Excellent Career Development
• Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
• Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
• Shopping Discounts
• Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post (for those whose language is a signed language the provision of a sign language interpreter who speaks English to the necessary standard of fluency will be required). Further information about the legal requirement can be found here.
How to Apply
As part of the application, you will be required to upload your most recent CV ensuring gaps in employment have been addressed and asked to answer the 4 key questions which are located at the end of the advert and a template can be found in the 'Available Documents'.
1.Describe the skills and experience you have in GL account reconciliation that are a match for this position?
2.What experience do you have in analytically challenging existing processes and implementing improvements through change?
3.Describe your ability to investigate and solve problems?
4.Provide an example of a situation where you have had to demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
If you do not provide answers to the questions and upload to your application, your application will be rejected.