We are looking for an IT Infrastructure Engineer, with a broad range of skills across servers, cloud and networking to help bolster our infrastructure team ("Technical and Operations" team), as we transform our environment for the future.
The Technical and Operations team are responsible for Guildford Borough Council servers, cloud infrastructure, network and storage, providing an ITIL Tier 3 support function. The team works closely with the Service Desk (Tier 1-2), Applications/Database team (Tier 3), ICT Change Portfolio team, Data Protection Officer and Information Assurance Officer, to deliver services that are secure, resilient and provide a positive customer experience.
You will be an experienced IT infrastructure engineer, confident in independently assessing elements of our infrastructure, proposing and delivering future options that align with a zero-trust architecture.
You will report into the Infrastructure Manager along with two other engineers, implementing BAU priorities, business change requests and technology foundations improvements for a period of around 6 months.
The role will be based out of our Guildford headquarters, but a level of home working will also be possible in-line with our Agile Working Policy and Procedure.
We are looking for someone with strong server, network and Microsoft cloud technical skills to work as part of our ICT Technical and Operations team to improve and deliver ICT services.
- 3 years+ experience in production environment server/network maintenance
- Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012+
- LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi, VPN and Firewall maintenance
- Active Directory including Azure AD, DNS, DHCP, Domain Controllers and GPO
- Azure experience including Intune and Exchange 365
- Excellent communication and team working skills
- Azure storage
- Firewall configuration
- Software-defined networking
- Multi-Domain (MS AD) environments
- Ideally with industry certifications e.g. ITIL Foundation, CISSP, SSCP
As one of the IT Infrastructure Engineers (formally called “Specialist - ICT (Technical and Operations)”), you will work with other skilled engineers to design and implement solutions to BAU and project requests, as well as proposing technical foundation improvements. This role is being recruited to help with, and provide capacity to support the delivery of a server and network decommission programme, as well as a cyber resilience improvements programme.
Your responsibilities will include
- Performing daily checks of servers, firewalls, security logs
- Second/Third line support for ticket resolution, training/advice to the Service Desk. Working directing with business users to resolve queries (phone, email or ticket system)
- Following Change Management process for any Changes
- Reviewing systems, potentially reverse-engineering current architecture, and designing, proposing and implementing Changes on servers, networks and firewalls
- Peer reviewing Changes within the Infrastructure team
- Growing yours and your colleague’s knowledge through research and knowledge-sharing to ensure a breadth of IT infrastructure skills across the team
- Be part of the IT Out of Hours rota, ensuring technical support availability for core infrastructure issues outside of business hours
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.