The Reactive Repairs Team are looking for 2 Contract Managers (Reading Council Contracts Manager and Wokingham Council Contracts Manager) to work as part of a busy operational team to assist our Assistant Housing Repairs and Maintenance Manager in delivering a full reactive repairs service, with an aspiration to deliver upper quartile performance.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and within this role you’ll have the opportunity to work in a way that suits your lifestyle.
About the roles
The Reading Reactive Repair Contract Manager role will be responsible for the management of our multi trade teams, including Carpentry, General Building, Roofing and Plastering, in the delivery of day-to-day repairs.
This will involve managing personal development, productivity pay scheme, performance management including quality of repair and resident satisfaction using the national schedule of rates.
The Wokingham Reactive Repair Contract Manager role will have contractual responsibility for the delivery of the day to day and out of hours repairs service for the Borough of Wokingham.
The ideal candidate will already have a commercial background and be able to build upon our existing strong relationship with the Client Delivery Team.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on everyone to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
This is an exceptional opportunity; as such we are looking for people with:
- Excellent communication skills in sometimes difficult circumstances, both face-to-face and over the phone, with both customers and colleagues,
- Remain focused in delivering a high-quality service (measured through a range of KPI’S).
- You will need to demonstrate a commercial understanding and have strong team management skills and the ability to manage poor performance.
- We manage the service using IT systems and handheld technology in the field so experience and knowledge of working with similar systems will be beneficial in this role.
- Trade qualification in Building & Construction or a minimum of 10 year’s trade experience is required.
- Social housing experience would be advantageous as would a professional technical qualification (e.g., CIH, CIOB, as would knowledge of CDM 2015)
There may be opportunities for professional training in the future.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at 19 Bennet Road
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing, and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact Sean Donaghue – Assistant Housing Repairs and Maintenance Manager - Sean.Donaghue@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: Sunday 24th September 2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 9th October 2023
Interview Process: To include an interview and power point presentation, topic notified if selected for interview.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once enough applications have been received and candidates may be selected for interview as applications are received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.