Salary: Band 10 - £38,295 - £42,503 p.a. Permanent 37 hours per week Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a highly motivated person to join our Capital Projects team with excellent practical building/construction knowledge and relevant construction inspector or construction supervisory experience. Candidates must be confident, good communicators, be extremely thorough with an eye for detail & have an observant, inquisitive, questioning nature.
The candidate will have substantial experience working in the Construction industry and ideally have a trade background. We are looking for someone who is willing to adapt if required and be enthusiastic about developing their career within the local authority sector. Candidates will preferably be a member or working towards membership of The Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate of GB. (ICWCI)
What can we offer?
We can offer a diverse and exciting workload focusing on maintaining and improving our portfolio of 15,000 housing assets ranging from Victorian terrace houses through to new build properties as well as over 900 corporate assets, including commercial office buildings, leisure and educational facilities and unique buildings such as Southsea Castle and the Spinnaker Tower.
All of our buildings are in close proximity in and around the Portsmouth, Havant & Gosport area, so time spent travelling is minimised. Typical projects would include planned maintenance schemes, extensions, adaptation, and conversion of existing properties, through to full refurbishment & new build developments. Whilst you will be working closely with The Principal Construction Inspector as part of the Construction Inspection Service, you will be given freedom to manage your own workload on a weekly basis.
Please click HERE for the full job profile which includes all aspects of the role!
- Salary up to £42,503p.a
- 27 days leave (rising to 31 after 5 years' service) with bank holidays on top.
- Access to the excellent Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Flexible working including home working options.
- Mileage allowance between projects
- Staff discounts at a range of companies including supermarkets and high street retailers.
- Full support from Qualified Construction Inspectors and other experienced team members
- Future career progression with PCC
- Professional but friendly work environment
Who is the person?
- You must have relevant trade or construction-based qualifications, such as City & Guilds/NVQ, HNC/HND, SMSTS, LICWCI/MICWCI
- Have experience of acting in a supervisory capacity on construction sites.
- Have appropriate up to date training record for Construction based Subjects, such as SMSTS or SSSTS, CSCS, Asbestos awareness & First Aid.
- Preferably be a member or working towards membership with The Institute of Clerk of Works and Construction Inspectorate of GB (ICWCI)
- Be attentive to detail when checking works and materials, demonstrate an ability to lead setting the standard of work expected on site in accordance with the specification.
- Have an observant, inquisitive, questioning nature, which can be critical when carrying out inspections, & necessary to be able to record facts.
- Be confident and assertive when making decisions and informing the contractor, as necessary.
- Have enthusiasm to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, residents, consultants, and contractors.
- Have knowledge and be able to apply construction related health & safety legislation, including the CDM Regulations 2015, Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, the building safety act 2022, and Working at Height Regulation 2005.
- Have full knowledge of the Building Regulations, Approved Documents and British standards, as these will need to be sporadically referenced during inspections.
- Demonstrate good IT skills using tablets/laptops and formulate detailed site reports.
- Understand Technical drawings and solve problems before they arise on site.
- Have a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting various sites across the Portsmouth area and will need to travel effectively between them.
Closing date: Monday 24th July 2023, at 12noon
Assessment: This will involve an inspection of a live Construction site.
Successfully shortlisted candidates will be contacted and provided with details of an assessment.
The assessment will involve candidates demonstrating experiences & knowledge as set out in the 'who is the person' section above.
Candidates who successfully complete the assessment will be invited for a final formal interview on a mutually agreeable date. The interview will focus on your own knowledge and personal experiences.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the 'Who is the Person' points with the use of examples from your experience and attach this as a cover letter in the Supporting Documents section. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. Please click HERE for the full job profile!Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact email@example.com