Are you the person we’re looking for to deliver innovative transport projects in North Somerset?
North Somerset Council has an ambitious and wide-ranging programme of Bus Service Improvements, urban regeneration, and transport improvement schemes to deliver. We are looking for enthusiastic team players to join our growing team and help deliver.
This will be a fast paced and exciting time to work for us. Following the award of significant funding for our joint West of England Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP), the second largest funding settlement nationally, North Somerset Council is looking to expand its project delivery teams to ensure successful delivery of our ambitious and exciting plans to transform sustainable and public transport in North Somerset alongside our colleagues across the West of England.
The projects and initiatives range from large passenger infrastructure projects (e.g. mobility hubs and public realm improvements), to first and last mile interventions around our public transport network.
We are aiming for our Bus Service Improvement Plan to significantly increase bus patronage, helping to decarbonise transport in the district.
It is vital that you are ambitious and bring the right blend of skills and experience to deliver quickly and efficiently to challenging timescales.
To support these aspirations the council’s BSIP delivery team is seeking to appoint two permanent roles:
- A career-graded Project Manager to progress our Passenger Infrastructure projects – starting salary up to £38,296. You will be an experienced project manager, used to working in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team environment.
- A Lead Engineer to work to permanently join a small project team under the guidance of an Infrastructure Delivery Manager to deliver the Councils priorities. Starting salaries up to £44,549.
All these roles are key to delivery of new responsibilities under the BSIP and Enhanced Partnership and our new Passenger Charter.
Depending on your level of skills and experience, you will play the most appropriate role in the successful development and implementation of highway improvement schemes, with senior officers expected to give day to day support and guidance to less experienced team members.
North Somerset Council Highways operate a Career Grade, and once appointed that means we want to see you progress with North Somerset in your career. Typical duties will vary by grade but for all officers would include input to:
- Delivering team priorities on time and within budget
- Continuously improving team standards and working practices
- Working with transport teams to develop briefs and specifications for schemes to maximise outcomes
- Contract management of programme delivery
- Reporting project progress to internal and external stakeholders
- Environmental carbon reduction in scheme delivery and outcomes
All our roles will work in partnership with the West of England Combined Authority as part of a joint delivery unit approach.
This position is currently based at our Castlewood offices in Clevedon. Please be advised that this office will be closed by 2025. Consultation is currently underway to determine the new location for colleagues based in Castlewood; this will be at Weston-super-Mare or within North Somerset.
Want to know more and apply?
For an informal discussion, please contact Jackie Lower (Infrastrastructure Delivery Manager) at email@example.com.
to download an application pack and apply online.
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 4th October 2023
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.