Team Manager - Adoption
The salary scale for this position is £48,632 - £52,625 per annum based on a 36-hour working week.
This is a great opportunity for a high calibre Social Worker to take their first step into management, or for an existing Team Manager with relevant experience in children's social work to join Adoption Southeast (ASE), the regional adoption agency for the Surrey, West Sussex, East Sussex and Brighton area.
To learn more about ASE please visit our website.
About the role
As one of three managers spread across the region with responsibility for recruiting and assessing prospective adopters, they will ensure that enquirers receive a timely, helpful response and are prepared for what life as an adoptive parent brings.
Our work is evidenced based and child focussed. As a manager with a focus on assessment we need you to be committed to these principles and ensure that all assessments conclude with clear recommendations that support decision making.
Our key service priorities for 2023/24 include:
- To recruit, assess and approve between 85 and 100 new adoptive families
- Increase the use of early permanence (fostering for adoption) placements for children
- Improve timescales for completing assessments and making successful placements
- Launch an improved training offer for prospective adopters, including preparation groups delivered jointly by staff and adoption experienced people
- To continue to recruit adopters from an increasingly diverse range of backgrounds and to build on our success in working with LGTBQ+ families
ASE staff are employed by one of the above local authorities under local terms and conditions, and this post is offered on Surrey County Council terms and conditions. The role is based in Woking with scope for working part-time in the office and the remainder at home.
What we're looking for!
Our Team Manager will need to demonstrate commitment to securing permanence for looked after children through adoption, capacity for contributing to ongoing service development and ability to collaborate with local authority and regional adoption agency colleagues.
We're looking for a confident casework supervisor who is able to provide robust management oversight of the prospective adopter journey and assessments of adoption support needs (for families who have adopted their children).
To be shortlisted for interview your CV and personal statement will evidence:
- Social work qualification, registration with Social Work England and minimum of 5 years post qualification experience
- Commitment to your own professional development and to that of staff you manage
- Experience of/ potential to provide supervision to qualified social workers
- Knowledge of adoption regulations, statutory guidance, national minimum standards and current social work practice and legislation
- Ability to manage data to monitor progress against agreed outcomes
- Excellent ICT skills, including proficiency in use of MS Teams
You will also need a full UK driving licence and access to a vehicle to travel across the Adoption Southeast region.
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.
For more information, please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application. We also invite you to read our Life at Surrey handbook to see insights of the culture at Surrey and how as a valued employee, you can help shape our Council.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 16th June 2023.
Interviews will take place on 21st June 2023.
An enhanced DBS 'Disclosure and Barring Service' check for regulated activity (formerly known as CRB) and the Children's and Adults' Barred List checks will be required for this role.
For an informal discussion please contact Suzanne Chambers by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please visit Surrey CC website: Team Manager - Adoption - Surrey County Council (surreycc.gov.uk)
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups. We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.