Senior Lawyer - Contracts, Procurement and Special Projects
The starting salary for this role is £55,244 per annum for working 36 hours per week.
Are you looking to take the next step in your career in Contracts, Procurement and Projects Law?
As a Senior Contract Lawyer, you will join a supportive, successful and Lexcel accredited in-house legal team that delivers effective legal advice, representation and assistance to the Council.
The team is supportive and knowledgeable and there is a commitment to development and training of our in-house talent.
"Working as a commercial lawyer for Surrey Council provides me with a varied and challenging case load, a friendly team and great support. For me job satisfaction is key. Working for clients who are working to make life better for Surrey's residents is a great feeling. This is a role where you bring your experience with you but continue learning and enjoy the application of legal knowledge to projects to solve problems and make things happen. It's a great place to work". Senior Lawyer - Nichola
This is an ideal role for those interested in developing and enhancing their existing skills whilst undertaking quality and varied work.
About the role
In this role, you will work as part of a team of Contract Lawyers to provide advice across a broad range of contract and procurement (and related) issues and support the Council in the provision of its services.
Senior Lawyers play an active role in the management of the team, and you will be expected to deputise for the Principal Solicitor alongside actively contributing to the future delivery of first-class legal services.
You will be expected to provide quality proactive legal advice on issues including, but not limited to, Public Contract Regulations matters, Company law, Subsidy Control, NEC's and JCT construction Contracts, general contract queries. You will have conduct of a full, varied and demanding caseload.
Our administrative base is in Reigate, but we also have an office in Weybridge where our Support Team is based. The Council adopts a hybrid working policy, so we can provide some flexibility in terms of where you work from.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Contracts and Procurement lawyer (8 + PQE), with substantial experience of the law and practice in this area, to join our friendly and committed team.
If you consider yourself to be an effective and dynamic individual, with some experience of managing and supervising people and the ability to motivate others whilst working in a team, then you will likely be well suited to this role.
To be considered for interview, your application will clearly demonstrate that you have good experience in the relevant areas of law and the following skills and abilities:
- Negotiating and drafting documentation such as construction contracts, service agreements, facilities management services
- Providing solutions-focused and enabling advice on a range of (mainly commercial and procurement) matters and an ability to learn quickly about subjects in which you may not have had prior experience
- Effective team working
- Leading and contributing at client and project meetings
- Advising Members and Senior Officers of the Council
- Managing competing priorities to achieve client/statutory deadlines
- Exemplary client care and organisational skills
Please note that advocacy will not form part of this role.
Should you wish to join a large, friendly, dedicated and experienced team of Lawyers please click the apply button below to submit your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 11th June 2023.
Interviews will take place on 21st June 2023.
This post has been designated as a politically restricted post in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
- 26 days' holiday rising to 28 days after 2 years' service
- Option to buy up to 10 days' additional holiday
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Employee Assistance Programme
- My Staff Shop/shopping discounts
For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.