Freight Security Assistant
FREIGHT SECURITY ASSISTANT - TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT
Hours: Shift pattern: 07:00 - 12:00 or 15:00 - 20:00, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (Summer schedule)
Portsmouth City Council controls all its maritime activities through the Port Service.
Portsmouth International Port (PIP) comprises the Cruise & Ferry Port (CFP), Flathouse and Albert Johnson Quays and the Camber.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect who you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the assignment?
Based at Portsmouth International Port (PIP), and reporting to the Traffic Supervisor, the role provides cover for the Freight Security Assistants who work within the freight related areas of the Port.
The main duties are:
- To control the entry of vehicles to and from the Port via the site’s freight gates and as and where directed, elsewhere.
- To ensure that all export freight is weighed in accordance with customer expectations
- To provide security services as required by PIP including but not limited to searching, passes, data processing and site rounds
- To operate the Ports freight database and systems to fulfil the requirements of the role.
- To assist and support the Traffic Supervisor as directed in their routine tasks.
- Required to be proficient in all skills and competencies needed to carry out the duties of the post.
- Required to be proficient, to obtain the training specification for the post of Traffic Supervisor within an agreed period.
- Provide proactive liaison with all Port Users: shipping companies, statutory authorities, contractors, etc. as required to enable the smooth operation of the Freight Gate complex.
- Required to comply with all PIP and Portsmouth City Council policies and procedures including all current quality standards.
- You would also be expected to play an active part in promoting a safe and secure working environment.
Who are we looking for?
- You must be customer focused and be able to demonstrate your ability in communicating with people at all levels within the organisation as well as with external customers and the general public.
- You must be proficient in MS Office packages and have working knowledge of internal systems/databases.
- You need to be able to develop a good understanding of current Port security legislation.
- You need to be able to develop an awareness of the regulations for the transportation and storage of dangerous goods and hazardous cargoes.
- You should have an awareness of the Health & Safety at Work Act
- You must be capable of working alone and as part of a team
- You should be capable of working both indoors and outdoors in all weathers
- You should be a good problem solver and be capable of working through problems to provide solutions for both your Supervisor and others within the freight team.