The starting salary for this position is £23,675 per annum based on a 36-hour week.
This role is open to remote working meaning, if you choose, you won't normally be required in the office five days a week, although there are specific times we meet in the Woking office to support staff development, training and wellbeing, or occasional ad hoc duties such as filing and mail shots.
The School Admissions Team at Surrey provides a critical service to our schools and our children. We work hard to ensure that the school's admission process runs effectively, and that some of Surrey's most vulnerable children can access a school place. We're now looking for a Team Administrator to join our team and help make a difference in this crucial area of work.
This is a complex and challenging area of work, but the impact we have is significant. The admissions process is regulated by the Department of Education and there are statutory application and offer dates which must be met. This means the pace of work is time-critical and can sometimes feel pressurised. However, the team is committed to providing an inclusive and effective service to our schools and we work together and support each other to achieve this.
As a Business Administrator in our team, your role will be to provide a quality administrative service which allows processes to run smoothly.
About the role
The Business Administrator position in our team offers lots of variety, with each day being slightly different. However, some of your key tasks in the role will involve:
- Accurately updating and maintaining our school admissions database
- Organising and attending meetings, taking high quality minutes
- Liaising with parents and schools over the phone
- Collating and arranging distribution of school admissions literature
- A range of other administrative tasks (post, filing, archiving etc)
What are we looking for?
First and foremost; we need someone who is highly organised with excellent accuracy and attention to detail!
You'll also be talking to parents and schools; answering their questions and providing accurate information. So, we're looking for someone who can communicate (both over the phone and in writing) confidently, sensitively and courteously.
As we've mentioned, the work we do is time-critical to make sure that children can access a school place, so together with the support of the team you will need to be comfortable and effective working at pace to ensure our deadlines are met.
To be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Administration background with experience of supporting a busy team
- Confident, organised and proactive
- Comprehensive minute taking skills which include complex meetings, via Laptop
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong customer service and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft365 applications, Excel, Word and SharePoint)
If you'd like to be part of a team that makes a tangible difference to the communities we support, then we look forward to receiving your application.
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.
For more information, please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application. We also invite you to read our Life at Surrey handbook to see insights of the culture at Surrey and how as a valued employee, you can help shape our Council.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 30th May 2023 with interviews taking place on 8th June 2023.
For an informal discussion please contact Tracy Burgess by e-mail at
- 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Option to join car lease scheme
- Hybrid working options
- Wellbeing and Inclusive designed workplace with agile spaces and expansive grounds
For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.