Youth Worker (Substance Misuse Specialist)
Fixed Term Contract/Secondment until 31.03.24
Band 7 - £27,852 - £32,020 pro rata (£13,529 - £15,577 p.a.)
18 hours per week - days & times can be discussed but likely Tuesday 09:00 - 15:00 and Monday - Thursday 18:00 - 21:00)
Who are we?
The youth service aim is to improve the outcomes for young people aged 11-19 years and up to 25 years for young people with learning difficulties and disabilities. We do this through information, advice and guidance, and a range of activities provided through our clubs and projects. We support vulnerable young people who are at risk or future risk of further problems such as substance misuse, youth offending, ASB, exploitation, teenage pregnancy, domestic abuse, and homelessness.
The youth service work in collaboration with the DASS (Drug & Alcohol Support Service) with the aim to improve outcomes for young people accessing the service. This will be through providing substance use interventions with young people, also providing Information, advice and guidance for a range of issues.
What is the role?
You will be responsible for providing targeted substance misuse educational sessions and tier 2 interventions to young people within youth club settings. Some 1:1 tier 3 substance misuse interventions will also be required, working alongside the young person's treatment service (DASS).
Work will range from:
- 1:1 assessments and interventions with young people experiencing substance use/misuse concerns (tier 2 or 3)
- You will contribute to key multi-agency meetings e.g., Child in Need/Child Protection
- Contribute to networks to support health improvement and local community development
- Targeted session delivery and education (tier 2) within the youth service and recording of data for numbers of young people receiving this support
- Supporting/co-ordinating campaigns and events to ensure young people receive information advice and guidance through both outreach and promotional work
- Supporting colleagues offering expert advice and guidance in the youth clubs
- Working with young people and stakeholders to collate their views with regards to substance use services for young people
Who is the person?
- Have a nationally recognised qualification (NVQ level 3 or equivalent substantial experience) in the Health, Youth, Community, Social Care or Education field.
- Experience of working with challenging young people in a variety of youth and community settings.
- Experience of identifying and responding effectively to potential safeguarding issues.
- Experience of working within clear boundaries and behaviours.
- Experience of assessing and working with Gillick Competency (in line with Fraser guidelines) for young people.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels and ability to plan, deliver, and evaluate activity, whilst building a clear evidence base for this role.
- Ability to engage vulnerable young people within your work.
- Excellent partnership / team working skills.
- Good organisational skills, ability to plan own work for targeted sessions and campaigns.
- Enthusiasm and drive for positive outcomes for young people.
- Be self-motivated and committed to their role.
- Be able to provide advice, advocacy, and support to vulnerable young people in a variety of settings.
- Have an understanding of evidence-based interventions and behaviour change with young people.
- Have experience of using Word and Excel.
- Be responsible for self-development and commitment to continuing professional development.
- To work flexibly to undertake such other reasonable activities or duties across DASS/Youth service and any location within reasonable travel distance from your main place of work.
- Sound understanding of the principles underpinning effective health improvement practice, particularly around substance misuse.
- Experience of delivering evidence-based interventions to young people experiencing problems in relation to substance use.
- Experience of behaviour change work with young people.
- Have an understanding of substances and their effect including knowledge of issues of social exclusion with young people and their families.
- Experience of motivating young people who are often difficult to engage.
- Experience of using PowerPoint and publisher.
- Experience of carrying out holistic assessments with young people to determine need and risk in relation to substance use.
- To have an understanding of a variety of techniques to help build resilience, self-esteem and confidence.
- To have experience of delivering substance use training to a variety of professionals.
Closing date: 6th June 2023
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the 'Who is the Person' points with the use of examples from your experience and attach this as a cover letter in the Supporting Documents section. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached here!
If applying as a secondment you will need permission from your current line manager releasing you for this secondment. Please state you have this in your application.
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- A generous pension scheme
- Up to 31 days annual leave per year + bank holidays
- Flexible / hybrid working
- A range of retail discounts via our reward portal offering discounts at retailers including IKEA, Currys, Tesco
- Free Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and wellbeing support
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities including apprenticeships
- Potential to purchase additional annual leave
- Business travel support and initiatives, including bike loans
Please click here for all of the benefits of working with us!
Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact email@example.com