Assistant Team Manager (Family Safeguarding West)
Are you a relationship-based social worker who puts children and their families at the forefront of everything you do? Are you committed to providing the highest standard of Social Work practice? Do you want to work in a multi-disciplinary team that believes in working alongside children and their families to bring about positive outcomes? Then West Berkshire Council may have the role you’ve been waiting for.
West Berkshire is excited to be in its fifth year working within the Family Safeguarding Model. We have adult substance misuse, domestic abuse and mental health practitioners sitting within the team alongside the Social Workers and Family Support Workers providing a joined-up approach.
This is why we are looking for an exceptional Assistant Team Manager with strong Social Work values to support the Team Manager in providing operational management of the children’s social work team. This will include oversight of supervisees, cases and financial resources. As well as the assessment of risk you will also be expected, on occasion, to deputise for the team manager.
To be successful in this role, you will be a highly skilled, experienced and motivated social worker. You will have the leadership qualities and influence to support and inspire your supervisees and other team members to meet our ‘best practice’ standards. You must be committed to maintaining effective working practices to meet the changing needs of children and young people. As well as having an excellent knowledge of SW legislation and a strong commitment to safeguarding children.
Some management or Practice Educator experience would be beneficial but it is not essential for the right candidate with the desire and ability to develop.
We are ideally looking to offer the successful candidate the full number of hours advertised above. We may however consider offering less hours than advertised providing they meet the requirements of the role and service which will be determined by the recruiting manager.
At West Berkshire council, we recognise that managing and working in a frontline team is demanding. To be effective, teams need achievable caseloads, good supervision and a real break at times. This is why we invest in our frontline staff with a unique benefits package and a serious commitment to career development.
We offer a learning environment that will support you to advance your career and specialism working with children with disabilities. As an organisation we are committed to providing our staff with the opportunities they need to develop and progress at all stages of their career. At West Berkshire we offer a comprehensive range of training opportunities and professional development through professional supervision and mentoring with access to a training programme to grow and enhance your skills.
In addition, you will receive:
- A golden hello payment of £3k after one year in post
- A retention payment of £2k after two years of service
- A further retention payment of £3k, plus a four week paid sabbatical after three years’ service
- Flexible Working: West Berkshire has adopted a Hybrid Working Policy, which allows employees to split their time between attending the workplace and working remotely
- Free Parking
- Social Work England registration fees reimbursed
- Dedicated employee wellbeing service
- Regular and high quality reflective supervision.
- Approachable and visible senior leadership
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous annual leave allowance, plus an additional 5 days leave after 5 years continuous local authority service
- Staff benefits and discount scheme
- Relocation package of up to £8000 for individuals moving from outside a 30 mile radius (subject to eligibility)
- Blue Light card fees reimbursed
It is essential that you hold a current SW England registration and a full driving licence with use of a car.
Please contact Service Manager, Sonia Harris on 01635 503189 for an informal chat about this role.