Senior Climate Action Programme Manager
Senior Climate Action Programme Manager
£61,370 - £75,635 per annum
Overall Purpose of Job
This is an exciting time to join the organisation and newly formed Directorate of Climate Action as we embark on setting revised climate action plans in a systems approach and build up the organisations capacity to deliver a just transition for the council and wider borough and become a leader in local council response to the climate emergency.
The role is to work alongside the Director of Climate Action to assist in leading and championing Newham council’s key commitments in relation to the Climate Emergency and achieving net zero as a council by 2030 and as a borough area by 2045, including the key components of the Newham Climate Emergency Action plan (transport, waste, air quality, green economy, housing, finance and community engagement).
To help in securing substantial carbon emission reduction outcomes both from Council operations and within the Borough boundary by influencing how residents, businesses and partners think and act.
To act as one of the council’s ambassadors for climate action, working in partnership and in extensive collaboration within the council, with residents and community organisations, borough partners and organisations, commercial partners, and national government departments and agencies.
To assist in delivering the Mayor’s and Council’s vision and priorities by embedding climate action throughout the development and delivery of all the council’s key strategies, business plans, delivery programmes, and campaigns.
To help further the green budgeting culture, evaluating the environmental impacts of Newham’s budget and testing new ways of financing green transition to support scaled delivery.
As senior officer, to work collaboratively with other service area colleagues and external stakeholders to achieve the Directorate service plans and priorities.
- The post holder reports to the Director of Climate Action
- The post holder has a system influencing role, working in extensive collaboration with members, council staff, residents and businesses.
- The post holder will have staff management responsibility for a graduate apprentice
- The postholder will play a key role in influencing the Council’s budget planning processes to ensure the Newham Climate Emergency Action plan is fully resourced.
- The postholder will matrix manage a number of programmes and projects involving a range of multi-disciplinary staff, sector and academic partners and government bodies.
- Strategy Implementation: Support the Director of Climate Action in developing and implementing genuinely cross-council and borough-wide evidence-based strategies and revised climate action plans including setting goals, targets, and performance indicators, and tracking progress towards achieving them.
- Program Development & Management: Assist in identifying, developing, and implementing climate action programs and initiatives cross-council and borough-wide in areas such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, transportation, waste reduction, and adaptation measures, in collaboration with various service areas and external stakeholders.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, such as council departments, community organisations, businesses, and residents, to promote climate action initiatives and foster collaboration for achieving climate goals inside and outside of the council’s direct control. Given everything we do is for our residents, our work must include local people in the journey to net zero carbon, with responsibilities around galvanising grassroots activity alongside participation to accelerate community buy-in to the lifestyle and business changes needed to reduce carbon emissions and achieve the tangible co-benefits that climate action can have for them (health, economic, etc.).
- Policy and Planning: Provide expertise in climate action and sustainability to inform and influence policies, plans, and projects across the borough, ensuring that climate considerations are integrated into decision-making processes. To work with Members to identify the opportunities for having the biggest impact on climate change by driving implementation through their individual portfolios, and the wider role they can play in climate action in the Borough.
- Monitoring and Reporting: Monitor and report on progress towards climate action targets and goals, including data collection, analysis, and reporting, and provide regular updates to the Director of Climate Action and other relevant parties on areas such as carbon reduction alongside health and economic co-benefits.
- Education and Outreach: to assist in developing and delivering educational and outreach programs to raise awareness and engage internal and external stakeholders in climate action initiatives, including public workshops, presentations, and campaigns.
- Green Budget, Resource Management & External Funding: Assist in the further development of the councils’ green budget, the tools that support evidence-based decision making and how budget measures impact environmental and climate objectives. To also assist in managing the budget and resources allocated to climate action programs, ensuring effective and efficient use of resources to achieve desired outcomes. Additionally, assisting in the campaign and bid for the funding needed to deal effectively with the climate emergency from public and private sources.
- Leadership & Advocacy: Help drive forward climate action in every aspect of the Council’s work. Supporting the council to consider every decision through the lens of tackling climate breakdown and advise the council on the environmental implications of the council’s current operations and propositions.
Tasks and Accountabilities
Tasks and accoun