It’s an exciting time for our HR service, we’ve taken great strides to modernise our offer; introducing self-service through a state-of-the-art HR System, transforming our Resourcing function, delivering a Council wide leadership development programme whilst developing an organisational culture through our Team Reading values.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This role primarily supports our Economic Growth and Neighbourhood Services Directorate, recruiting to wide variety of roles including manual labour, skilled trades, planning, energy and climate and environmental health for both permanent and contingency hires.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and you’ll have the option to work on a largely remote basis within this role.
Main duties include:
- Partner with hiring managers to determine role requirements and support them to develop appropriate recruitment strategies
- Develop positive relationships with stakeholders through provision of a proactive, credible and customer focussed recruitment service
- Facilitate a top-notch temporary agency recruitment service in conjunction with our managed service provider
- Provide an exceptional candidate experience at each part of the recruitment process promoting the organisation as an employer of choice
- Ownership of efficient and effective end to end recruitment administration; including offer, contract, references and professional checks
Previous recruitment experience, in-house or agency is ideal, although we’re happy to consider applicants from different backgrounds with transferable skills. Most importantly you’ll need to demonstrate a strong customer focus with developed interpersonal skills and resilience, to be able to deliver a consistently excellent experience to both candidates and hiring managers.
You’ll need to be able comfortable dealing with volume, working at pace without losing your eye for detail, it’s also important that you are tech savvy; comfortable using a range of job boards and social media, alongside applicant tracking and HR software.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme
For more information about these roles or for an informal discussion please contact Recruitment@reading.gov.uk
Closing date: 29th May 2023
Interview date: Week Commencing 5th June 2023
Interview Process: Competency based interview and test.
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.