Environment Strategy Manager
Hillingdon is London's second largest borough, and we're proud of our commitment of 'Putting our residents first', ensuring they're at the heart of everything we do! We want to attract talented individuals like yourself who share our aspirations for the borough and can support us to deliver exceptional services for Hillingdon.
With an ambitious strategy we pride ourselves on delivering services that improve the lives of all our residents, businesses, and partners. Embarking on a journey of continuous improvement, we've set an agenda to ensure the provision of; safer communities, a thriving local economy, a greener more sustainable environment, whilst increasing our digital capabilities.
Driving forward innovative and dynamic solutions across our Planning, Regeneration & Public Realm service, we're recruiting for an Environmental Strategy Manager to plan, develop and deliver a borough-wide strategy.
What does an Environment Strategy Manager do at Hillingdon?
Acting as the ESM and leading the provision of advice across a range of environmental matters, (Air Quality, Contaminated Land, Flood & Water Management etc.), the Environment Strategy Manager works collaboratively with policy writers, developers, and property/ landowners, to identify and mitigate environmental impact of ongoing and future projects such as the Heathrow expansion.
Coordinating the Council's oversight in relation to the environmental and community impact of the ongoing works, the Environment Strategy Manager represents the Council actively contributing to the preparation, review, monitoring and implementation of planning policies, masterplans, and codes.
Working proactively with the Senior Leadership and the wider management team, the role seeks to inform, persuade, and influence stakeholders to implement changes and drive improvements to support our ambitions to deliver a greener more sustainable environment.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Environmental Strategy Service
- Drive environmental policy development and responses
- Ensure a climate resilient design as a core part of the planning service design culture
- Manage caseload of complex strategic cases
With prior experience of working within a similar role, you'll have a good knowledge of the environmental challenges facing Hillingdon, with the ability to evidence examples of designing and delivering environmental strategies and policies.
As an expert communicator, you'll be comfortable in presenting ideas, risks, and data to a wide audience, seeking to engage and collaborate with stakeholders to build an effective partnership model. You'll have experience of leading teams, embedding a culture of continuous improvement to achieve service objectives.
Key skills/ experience to evidence within your application:
- Successful track record of policy development and delivery within environmental services
- Working knowledge of the environmental impact assessment process and regulations
- Experience of leading/ significant contribution to service improvement at a senior level
- Experience of appearing as an expert witness at Committees Public Inquiries, or alternative legal proceedings
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.