Senior Building Surveyor (Repairs)
Salary: Band 11 - £42,503 - £46,549 p.a.
37 hours per week flexi-time
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced Building Surveyor to join our building repairs teams with good building surveying knowledge.
Candidates must be enthusiastic and good communicators, with relevant experience of surveying and managing repairs and maintenance contracts.
What is the role?
You will be based at one of our area housing offices working as part of a building repairs team supporting the Building Repairs Manager's. You will be part of the repairs management team; previous management experience is not essential and you will be supported to develop your skills and gain managing experience using the ‘Systems Thinking’ methodology.
You will be part of a team responsible for providing a building repair and voids service ensuring that it is undertaken in accordance with our NEC3 term service contract including all contractor payments and undertaking all appropriate audits. The team assists us in meeting our purposes which are, to maintain and improve our properties, ensure the right repair is carried out at the right time and provide suitable homes when needed.
You will be surveying our assets, updating stock data, assessing the condition of our assets, evaluating and diagnosing what work is required, assessing the best options to carry out the work, issuing repairs and managing a varied range of planned repair projects. We maintain a varied housing stock including a diverse range of corporate, operational, commercial and community assets.
Repair projects that you may carry out and supervise include decorations to external and communal areas, cladding, fire upgrading work, window replacement, re-roofing, electrical work, extensions, and structural repairs. The value of individual projects you will be responsible for managing will be up to £50,000, although typically you will undertake schemes that will have a contract value of £15,000.
You will support and deputise for the Building Repairs Manager to ensure the building repairs team have capacity to effectively manage all demands received by utilising all the resources available including developing apprentices and surveyors. You will manage apprentices and/or surveyors supporting the team to provide a repairs service including carrying out fire risk assessments, asbestos and EPC surveys.
You will liaise with customers and stakeholders regarding the repairs and maintenance service, investigating complaints and disrepair claims as appropriate. Stakeholders include residents, leaseholders, local councillors, building users and other section heads and you will have responsibility for managing the repairs service and developing relationships with specific delegated stakeholders.
You will manage the repairs and maintenance of the assets you are responsible for and ensure that we have accurate stock data information as appropriate. You will assess the condition of the assets, use measures to assess the effectiveness of the service, identify planned maintenance projects and prioritise demands to inform planned programmes of work.
Who is the Person?
You need to:
- Have a degree or HNC level qualification in a relevant building surveying or construction related subject or appropriate relevant experience. You will be supported to gain a professional membership of either the CIOB or RICS, if appropriate.
- Have good knowledge and experience of building construction technology and building pathology together with the ability to coach and advise others.
- Have knowledge of the NEC and JCT suite of contracts, including experience of managing contractors, negotiating contractual matters, application of contract service schedules, resolution of disputes with contractors and improving the service.
- Have experience of developing relationships with clients and customers, understanding their aspirations, managing expectations and ensuring that excellent communication occurs to ensure that they are fully informed regarding the repairs and maintenance of their assets, receiving exceptional customer service.
- Have good knowledge and experience of applying building related legislation, contract law and guidance. Specifically, the Housing Act, building regulations, planning law, party wall act, fire safety, building safety, electrical inspections, gas installations, legionella, with the ability to advise others.
- Have knowledge and experience of construction related health & safety legislation generally with the ability to advise others, specifically the CDM Regulations 2015 and asbestos at work regulations 2012 with the ability to advise others.
- Demonstrate and coach practical surveying skills; specifically be able to carry out stock condition surveys, identify stock data and record stock information. Surveys undertaken include energy performance (EPC) surveys, fire risk assessments, asbestos surveys, identifying building defects, assess quality of work undertaken, offer solutions to resolve any issues and identify potential planned maintenance schemes.
- Have the ability to evaluate different building options and prepare a specification of work, gain quotations and manage an individual contract.
- Demonstrate commercial awareness and be able to undertake cost estimates for building work, exercise financial control and assess value for money for the service provided when evaluating the contractor’s estimates or quotations or application for payment on a cost reimbursable contract.
- Have relevant knowledge and experience of using all Microsoft packages; in particular be able to demonstrate practical IT skills using Excel spreadsheets to analyse data and be able to use various software packages to accurately update data as part of undertaking the role.
- Have relevant knowledge of public procurement procedures for building work to gain quotations and tenders.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team, using PLAN (Proportionate, Lawful, Accountable, Necessary) to resolve problems and find appropriate and effective solutions.
- Be able to interrogate, analyse and evaluate