West Northamptonshire Council is a dynamic and progressive new unitary local authority, created in April 2021. We’re on a journey shaping our teams and processes to enable us to continue making a real difference to people’s lives, delivering vital public services to the residents in West Northamptonshire.
The Revenues and Benefits service is one of the largest customer services of the Council comprising of the administration and operation of the Council Tax, Business Rates and Benefits statutory services. We also have our own debt and money advice service, and inspections team to maximise income.
The Systems & Service Development Team has a key role in maintaining and developing the systems used by the Revenues and Benefits service. This also includes managing our customer online portal and various online forms.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and driven individual to join our team and support us on our journey – if you think this could be you, we want to hear from you.Our benefits
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 27 days annual leave per year, 28 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference - If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people's lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
The council is in the process of implementing a new pay structure and terms and conditions which will be applicable to this role. The outcome could result in a future variation to the advertised salary, and this will be discussed at interview.What will you be doing?
This is an exciting time to join us! As a new unitary authority, we are working hard to harmonise our processes and the systems we use. This role is interesting and varied, we are looking for an enthusiastic team player who can support us in maintaining and developing the systems we use.
Day to day, you’ll be responsible for systems administration for all the Revenues and Benefits systems, including system security, user access, maintenance of scheduled jobs and investigation of job failures, reconciliations and testing of new releases. You will also investigate system queries and issues raised by the Revenues and Benefits team, resolving them in a timely manner. You will also be involved in key projects, such as annual billing and benefits year end processes and maintaining our customer forms and portals.About you
You don’t need experience across all aspects of the job as we will support you with a full development plan, but we would like to hear from prospective colleagues who can demonstrate:
- Significant working knowledge of either Revenues or Benefits legislation and working practices
- Experience of Capita or Northgate Revenues and Benefits systems
- Sound IT skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
- Ability to work methodically, accurately, and to agreed deadlines
- Ability to use a wide range of IT packages
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and managers
You’ll need to have a solutions driven and adaptable approach to working, thrive in a busy environment with a positive approach to challenges!
We’re building a culture at West Northamptonshire where amazing and talented people like you can do their best work. If you are excited by the opportunity to help shape the way we do things, apply now!About us
We’re a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government reform in recent history. As a new authority, we’re embarking on an exciting journey to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and communities.
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is ‘to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive’. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance, Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver services.
At West Northants Council, it’s about our people. People who thrive with ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail, and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-minded people.
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.