Head of Service - Planning
Head of Planning and Building Control
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Salary scale: £77,388 - £84,915
The Head of Planning and Building Control takes a lead role in creating the development conditions for sustainable, economic growth and prosperity, linked to the ambitions laid out in Barnsley’s Local Plan (adopted by Full Council in 2019), which provides the Framework for development in the borough up to 2033.
The Local Plan aims to provide opportunities to grow the economy by 28,840 jobs in the plan period, encourage significant inward investment, enable the delivery of at least 21,546 homes, including affordable housing. It also identifies the need for critical infrastructure to support sustainable communities, the importance of protecting and enhancing the natural, built and historic environment as well as respecting the unique cultural identity and local character of Barnsley
The postholder will lead a 45-50 strong team, who deliver the following functions and services:
- Delivering the work of the Council as Planning Authority and developing key strategies, policies, guidance and masterplans to support this work
- Processing and determination of planning applications and planning enforcement complaints
- Discharging of the Council’s statutory and legal Building Regulation requirements.
- Ensuring the Council and organisations in the borough support our wider zero carbon ambitions and mandatory requirements arising from the Environment Act (e.g. biodiversity net gain).
- Engaging with key stakeholders to offer professional advice re a range of projects and planning applications at a variety of scales.
- Overseeing the implementation of the Council’s Section 106 infrastructure programme
The successful candidate will be an individual with extensive experience in a senior planning role, with an understanding of the policy frameworks and regulatory environment governing development. S/he will have experience of working and building constructive relationships with a wide range of development partners and agencies from the private, public and community / voluntary sectors and in engaging with residents and communities. S/he will also be reasonably familiar with the Building Control regulatory framework as well as having a clear understanding of sub regional/strategic planning and ongoing planning reform.
Our vision is for Barnsley to be the place of possibilities for everyone who lives in our borough. Our ambitions are laid out in the B2030 strategy informed by our current Council Plan. The postholder will be a key contributor to our Inclusive Economy work to enable everyone to benefit from the fruits of our economic growth. This role sits within our Regeneration and Culture team, working alongside a fantastic group of colleagues who lead our Economic Development, Culture & Visitor Economy, Housing, Employment & Skills, Property/Assets and FM services. It also sits within the Growth and Sustainability directorate so the role works closely with our colleagues in Strategic Transport & Highways as well as our Zero Carbon / Climate change team. In joining this team you will be part of a positive, dynamic group of people who are committed to supporting the delivery of our B2030 ambitions and shaping a positive future for Barnsley.
Interviews will take place on Thursday 22nd June.