School Crossing Patrol
Would you like to join a local authority committed to improving residents' quality of life?
West Sussex County Council (WSCC) operate a range of home to school and adults services transport routes across the County.
As part of our team, you will enable vulnerable people to achieve the best possible personal outcomes. You will do this by providing a reliable and consistent, safe transport service.
We're looking for people with an outward looking, caring and professional approach. The ideal person will naturally go above and beyond; acknowledging that our passengers value a friendly face and someone who is thoughtful and considerate.
Sound like an opportunity you would be interested in, Read more.
About The Job
We are looking for School Crossing Patrol to join our School Transport team based across the county.
Salary Range: £10.60 - £10.79 per hour, term time only 39 weeks including 5.6 weeks annual leave.
Work Location: Drayton Depot (near Chichester).
- Camelsdale Primary (School Road, Camelsdale, Haselmere)
- Easebourne C of E Primary (Wheelbarrow Castle, Easebourne, Midhurst)
- Midhurst C of E Primary (Ashfield Road, Midhurst)
- Rose Green Junior School (Raleigh Road, Rose Green, Bognor Regis)
- Rustington Community Primary (North Lane, Rustington)
- Whitemeadows Primary Academy (Whitelea Road, Littlehampton)
Hours per week: Part time, 5 - 10 hours per week.
We will review applications on a rolling basis therefore, you will be contacted within 2 weeks of your application.
We are currently seeking multiple School Crossing Patrols to join all 3 Depots Staffing one of the 130 Crossing Sites within West Sussex, operated by the Transport Provision Team.
To provide a valuable and reliable service to children and other pedestrians at a designated Crossing Site by assisting them to cross the road safely on their way to and from school.
You will be standing for long periods, holding the 'lollipop' pole in all weather conditions and will exposed to traffic noise and fumes, dirt and dust, and the hazards inherent in stopping cars.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to understand and carry out the procedures for safely stopping traffic.
- Good oral communication skills to be able to deal effectively with both children and colleagues, and other adults where necessary.
- Good perception and knowledge of car stopping times, in particular the effect that adverse weather conditions have on these.
- Ability to remain calm when put under pressure by drivers or pedestrians.
- A basic level of literacy and numeracy sufficient to follow detailed written instructions and procedures and record necessary information during the course of the duty.
- To be familiar with the relevant sections of the Highway Code and its applications.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- No specific qualifications are required.
- Experience of working with children. Desirable
- Experience of providing a service to others. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
Our values and support for one another is intrinsic to everything we do and will be a key priority within the assessment for this post. We care hugely about wellbeing, allowing time for a good laugh, and developing our team to be the best they can be. Alongside this, we also offer the below benefits.
- A competitive pay.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE01027 .
Struggling to apply? Book onto a Computer Buddy Session in a library near you to get help navigating our application form.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing reference only