Lawyer - People
We are looking for a talented Lawyer (barrister/ solicitor/ CILEX) to work within our close knit and well respected in house legal team.
The People Team provide a wide range of legal advice and support to Council Services in relation to Adults social care, Education, including SEN tribunals and Schools, Housing, Inquests and Children and Family Services (not care proceedings) and Licencing.
You will personally undertake a complex caseload of work primarily in this area, ideally having a specialism in either SEN tribunal work or Adult Social Care, providing timely and accurate advice to Members and Officers of the Council, including representation and attendance at such meetings as desired by the Client Department, ensuring that decisions and actions comply with the Council’s Constitution and are defensible.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and attributes:-
- Good Knowledge and understanding of the law in respect of one or more of the area Adults social care and Education including schools and SEN tribunals ideally in a local government setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to write clear and concise reports and to present informational oral and written skills
- Ability to give high level legal advice to officers and members
- Ability to independently manage a substantial case load
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills
- Advocacy skills in either a Court or Tribunal setting
- Able to work under pressure, organising work to ensure deadlines and targets are met
- Able to transfer legal skills to unfamiliar areas of law
- To draft and negotiate a full range of legal documentation required with minimal supervision.
Our offer to you
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Join a supportive and proactive friendly team passionate about better outcomes for vulnerable adults or children
- Option for offering less hours than advertised, providing you meet the requirements of the role and service as determined by the recruiting manager.
- An offer of flexible & hybrid working wherever possible
- Opportunity for growth and development with a fantastic training programme to support with your learning, development and career progression
- Local government pension scheme
- Family friendly policies
- A range of local discounts
- You will also be entitled to a generous annual leave entitlement of minimum 29 days per annum plus bank holidays (rising to 35 after 5 years continuous service)
- Salary up to circa £50k
We are ideally looking to offer the successful candidate the full number of hours advertised above. We may however consider offering less hours than advertised providing they meet the requirements of the role and service which will be determined by the recruiting manager.
If you interested in working with us and want to know more, do not hesitate to contact Nicola Thomas, Service Lead; Legal and Democratic or Laura Knowles, Principal Solicitor - People.
Or go straight to the links below to see the job description and complete our Online Application form.
Interviews week commencing 12th June