Private Sector Housing Officer
Dartford Housing Services really values the contribution our staff make and in return, we offer the opportunity to ‘make a difference’ and go home at the end of the day with a feeling of accomplishment. We are excited to be recruiting three new Private Sector Housing Officers. These are newly created posts to join the existing Team which will play a lead role in improving housing standards in the borough’s significant private rented sector. The post holders will work effectively as part of the team to deliver an excellent private sector housing service and have experience in in all areas including disrepair, HHSRS inspections, HMOs (including licensing), caravan site licensing and enforcement of legislation. The right candidate will have a good knowledge of building construction, detailed knowledge of the relevant legislation including Housing Act 2004 & Housing and Planning Act 2016, enforcement experience and be able to manage their own caseload. You should also be enthusiastic, organised and a team player who is looking for a challenging new role. You will be passionate about customer service excellence and will be a significant contributor to our vision of becoming the best Housing team in Kent.
This is a generic post and your duties may include both proactive and reactive work including some or all of the following;
- Investigation of complaints regarding housing disrepair, including relating to damp and mould, blocks of flats (including high rise), in line with council policies and
procedures, using the HHSRS and where necessary take enforcement action.
- To assist in identifying HMOs in the borough
- Inspection, licensing and enforcement of HMOs and caravan sites in line with council policies and procedures.
- Enforcement of all relevant legislation/policies including Housing Act 2004, Housing & Planning Act 2016, The Mobile Homes Act 2013, The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 (as amended), The Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 and The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020
- Represent the council at meetings with internal and external partners
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Previous experience of working in a housing/environmental health/ maintenance/surveying environment
- Working knowledge of HHSRS, including completing assessment and producing reports
- A building maintenance related qualification is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent numeracy skills;
- Confidence, enthusiasm and a flexible approach;
- Excellent administration skills, accuracy and attention to detail;
- Good keyboard skills and the proven ability to learn and utilise new software;
- Good customer care skills;
- The ability to discuss sensitive issues with our customers calmly;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.