Assistant Director of Buildings
Portsmouth City Council is seeking an Assistant Director of Buildings to make a difference to our residents' lives from day one.
This exciting and varied role will suit you if you are working at a senior level with extensive experience in the building and construction sector providing a range of repairs, maintenance and building services ideally within the housing sector.
Portsmouth is one of the most densely populated parts of the country outside of London, so housing is an important issue for the 200,000+ residents who live here. We also work as a landlord outside of the city and work closely with neighbouring councils such as Havant, Gosport and Hampshire.
You'd be a key part of the leadership team for the council's Housing, Neighbourhood and Building Services Directorate, which delivers a range of front-line services, including waste management, building maintenance and housing services. You will ideally be knowledgeable in construction legislation and have extensive experience having worked in the building sector and managing teams through change.
The Housing, Neighbourhood and Buildings directorate is embedding a system thinking philosophy to the design and management of its services. You will have a key role in supporting the Director in ensuring that systems thinking is at the heart of everything it does.
This is an exciting opportunity with a wide-ranging remit and services that are at the heart of the Directorate. As the Assistant Director of Buildings, you will lead the successful delivery of the service based on known customer demand and deliver continuous improvement in response to changes due to legislation arising from the Building Safety Act 2022, the Charter for Social Housing, the Environmental act 2021 and the authority's response to the issue of damp and mould in social housing properties. This demand will be further influenced by the service responding to the Government's and Portsmouth City Council's stated ambition to decarbonise the social housing portfolio.
We're in a good position, we're not facing a residue of repair demand post lockdown as we kept up an almost business as usual service in relation to building repairs and maintenance delivery, and statutory compliance during the pandemic. However, the service is dealing with significant new challenges arising out of the cost-of-living crisis, Brexit, and the post pandemic global / Ukraine economic situation which are adding further pressures on building maintenance revenue and capital budgets.
The role encompasses the following thematic areas, with ample opportunity for collaborative working.
- Building Maintenance
- Building Capital Projects
- Design Services
- Building Engineering Services
- Energy Services
Please click here for the full job pack! This includes all details of the role & the person we are looking for. When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the 'Who is the Person' points of the job profile, with the use of examples from your experience and attach this as a cover letter in the Supporting Documents section.
Please also include:
- Your full education history from secondary school, please include name and address of establishment, details of relevant qualifications and awarding body. Please explain any gaps.
- Your full work history, explaining any gaps. Including employers name, address, dates from and to and reasons for leaving. This is a legal requirement for this position.
- Please provide details for us to obtain two references. If you are currently working we will need a reference from your current employer and previous employer. If you are not currently working, we will need references from your two most recent employers.
Closing Date: 16^th April 2023 (midnight)
Successful candidates from the application process will be invited to an assessment centre on 24^th April 2023 and from there onto interview on either 27^th or 28^th April 2023.
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- A generous pension scheme
- Up to 31 days annual leave per year + bank holidays
- Flexible / hybrid working
- A range of retail discounts via our reward portal offering discounts at retailers including IKEA, Currys, Tesco
- Free Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and wellbeing support
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities including apprenticeships
- Potential to purchase additional annual leave
- Business travel support and initiatives, including bike loans
- Relocation support where applicable
Please click here for all of the benefits of working with us!Should you require any support in completing the application form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org