Communication and Engagement Officer
Salary: £38,295 - £42,503
Hours: 37 hours per week
Closing date: 26^th March 2023
Interview date: 3^rd April 2023
Portsmouth is a city with big ambitions for its residents and communities. Ambitious regeneration schemes are transforming Portsmouth and playing a big role in driving growth and prosperity, strengthening communities, celebrating the city's skills and heritage, and drawing on new innovations and technology.
Local people are rightly proud of their city and its heritage. We want to make sure they are well-informed about what is happening and why and have a chance to get involved in shaping Portsmouth's future.
That's why we need a talented, creative and highly adaptable communications and engagement professional, to make sure we involve a wide range of audiences and stakeholders in the regeneration story.
You will be leading the planning and delivery of communications and engagement activity around key projects, including the regeneration of the city centre and Tipner West. You will also work with the wider regeneration team, from economic development to commercial property, to fly the flag for Portsmouth among investors, developers, supply chain businesses and regional business organisations through market-facing channels.
The post holder will be part of a forward-thinking marketing and communications service that provides the council, and a number of external clients, with a full marketing and communications service, including corporate communications, marketing, design, market research, digital and web services.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. We believe in on-going professional development and work-life balance too, and will discuss opportunities and aspirations, as well as working hours and location, with the successful candidate.
The council is currently hybrid working, and our expectation is that this role would spend a mix of time working in the office and from home, the balance of that time will be led by the needs of the services.
What you'll need to succeed
You’ll need to have:
• a relevant degree and/or professional qualification AND/OR substantial experience in a communications, engagement, or PR role
• proven experience of leading communications for an organisation or major project
• a track record developing and delivering targeted communications and engagement strategies for a range of audiences.
• strong copywriting skills and the ability to translate complex or technical information into clear and compelling content.
• a keen eye for media management - the ability to spot an opportunity, news hook or potential issue, provide guidance and respond effectively.
• experience co-ordinating and delivering face-to-face engagement and events such as corporate presentations, community panels, public exhibitions or roadshows.
• the ability to collaborate and manage a team to deliver against the project's objectives.
Please read the job profile for the full details of this role
What you'll get in return
We really appreciate our employees and fully realise they are essential to our success and look to offer an inclusive, supportive working environment where employees can reach their potentials with a healthy work life balance, offering the following rewards:
- Generous annual leave (27 days per year rising to 31, pro rata for part time hours) with the potential to purchase additional leave.
- A fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return.
- Flexible working hours.
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities including apprenticeships.
- Extensive wellbeing support through the Employee Assistance Programme
- Discount on travel, travel loans and the bike loan scheme
- Discounts on a wide range of goods and services – access a range of discounts and offers from thousands of restaurants, shops and more.
Staff rewards: https://careers.portsmouth.gov.uk/working-for-the-council/
Interviews will be held on Monday 3rd April 2023
The full job profile is attached here
Contact Details for an Informal Discussion:
Please contact: Ellie Rymer - firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a disability confident employer - committed to ensuring that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible and welcome applications from all areas of society.
Applicants will be shortlisted based on their ability to use good examples that meet the criteria of this role.
Remember to demonstrate why you are suitable against each of the poin