Senior Social Worker
Are you a relationship-based social worker who puts children and their families at the forefront of everything you do? Are you committed to providing the highest standard of Social Work practice? Do you want to work in a multi-disciplinary team that believes in working alongside children and their families to bring about positive outcomes? Then West Berkshire Council may have the role you’ve been waiting for.
West Berkshire is excited to be an authority that practices the Family Safeguarding Model. We have adult substance misuse, domestic abuse and mental health practitioners sitting within the team alongside the Social Workers providing a joined-up approach.
To be a great social worker you must be able to develop and maintain high quality relationships with children and their families but in order to do this effectively you must first have the right support and guidance.
We are looking for an exceptional social worker with strong social work values to join our team and enjoy the benefits of positive working practices in which you are recognised as an expert in your field.
Senior Social Workers have a vital case holding role delivering high quality social work to best serve our children and families, whilst supporting lesser experienced colleagues. Senior Social Workers in West Berkshire will be expected to support less experienced colleagues by sharing their knowledge and providing insight into what makes our practice great. SSWs will deliver and supervise social work interventions, including holding complex cases themselves and making key decisions that impact both children and families and the performance of the service.
You have a minimum of three years’ social work experience post-ASYE (i.e. four years post-qualification) in practice at the commencement of taking up your post with us and will have extensive knowledge of Care proceedings and the PLO framework and working with complex child protection and child in need cases. We place a strong emphasis on practitioner development and support our Social Workers to seek opportunities to add to their skills in areas of particular interest to them.
To be successful in this role, you will be a skilled, experienced and motivated social worker. You will have ethical qualities and influence to support and inspire your other team members to meet our ‘best practice’ standards. You must be committed to maintaining effective working practices to meet the changing needs of children and young people. As well as having an excellent knowledge of SW legislation and a strong commitment to safeguarding children.
It is essential that you hold a current SW England registration and a full driving licence with use of a car.
West Berkshire Council has developed a unique package of benefits to support social workers and managers. This is because we recognise that working in a frontline team is demanding and to be effective, teams need manageable caseloads, good supervision and a real break. This is why we are investing in supervision and sabbaticals for frontline staff.
You will receive regular monthly personal and case supervision as well as being part of a multi-disciplinary team holding monthly Group Case Supervision.
We also have a strong emphasis on relationship-based practice and a restorative practice culture, and aim to work with families in a way which recognises and builds on their strengths.
In addition, you will receive:
- A market supplement of 5k per annum
- A golden hello payment of £3k after one year in post
- A retention payment of £2k after two years of service
- A further retention payment of £3k, plus a four week paid sabbatical after three years’ service
- Flexible Working: West Berkshire has adopted a Hybrid Working Policy, which allows employees to split their time between attending the workplace and working remotely
- Free Parking
- Social Work England registration fees reimbursed
- Dedicated employee wellbeing service
- Regular and high quality reflective supervision.
- Approachable and visible senior leadership
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous annual leave allowance, plus an additional 5 days leave after 5 years continuous local authority service
- Staff benefits and discount scheme
- Relocation package of up to £8000 for individuals moving from outside a 30 mile radius (subject to eligibility)
- Blue Light card fees reimbursed
Good communication skills, both written and verbal are essential.
Please contact Sonia Harris on 01635 519785 for an informal chat about this role.