Skilled Road Worker
- Are you looking for a new challenge?
- Are you seeking working arrangements that enhance your work-life balance?
- Do you want to be part of a supportive team?
If you answered yes, we want to hear from you!
About the opportunity:
We are currently recruiting to fill 1x permanent Skilled Road Worker posts. You will report directly to the Contract Supervisor and be required to deliver on a broad range of reactive and routine highway repairs. The main position will be to carry out repairs to the highway and traffic management and be integral part of the winter service needs.
Who we are:
The Direct Services Organisation (DSO) is part of ECS (Environment and Community Services Directorate). ECS is responsible for a diverse remit of services across both boroughs such as parks and open spaces, highways, engineering and planning.
You will be joining an already well established workforce within the Shared Staffing Arrangement in the boroughs of Richmond and Wandsworth.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Day to day reactive and planned repairs of, carriageway, footway, highway requests as directed to safeguard the highway users.
- Provide a skilled response to a broad range of highway faults and street furniture.
- Knowledge of and practical application of highway treatment types, flag stones, kerbs, iron works, spreading and compacting of Bituminous materials including and other type of repairs to the public highway.
- Knowledge and understanding, including the practical application of NRSWA 1991 re-instatement Specification for Highways.
- Undertaking the standby scheme for the winter service on a rota basis and some staff will be required to participate in the emergency Out of Hours Standby Service (including depot emergency cover and any additional out of hour’s service that is required).
- Should be prepared to respond to the Councils major Emergency Plan when required. E.g. sand bagging, storm damage etc.
Please review the attached Job Profile for further information on this exciting role you will be expected to be doing.
How to apply:
Please register, complete our standard questionnaire and submit your CV. If you are having difficulty in applying online, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if we can offer alternative arrangements for you to apply.
We recognise the importance of having a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working including and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore. We also offer a generous holiday allowance of 39 paid days (pro rata) including bank holidays and a wide range of learning and development opportunities.
In addition, we offer a comprehensive range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts with many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: 31st March 2023
Shortlisting Date: 3rd April 2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 10th April 2023
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. We strongly advise you to complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note that the advertised dates for interviews may change due to the current Covid-19 situation. If they do, we will let you know as soon as possible. Your health and wellbeing is our top priority. Should you become unwell due to Covid-19 during the recruitment process we would very much appreciate receiving an update from you as soon as possible.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services.
The application process for this campaign will be anonymised.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.