Bereavement Services Operations Officer
We are looking for a pro-active, motivated and confident individual wanting to make a difference by providing a compassionate service to the bereaved.
Guildford’s bereavement service looks after two cemeteries, Guildford crematorium and eight closed churchyards. We are a small dynamic team who manage all the burial, cremations and related appointments for the borough. We are looking for a grounds person/ gravedigger to work within the service. This role attracts a salary range of £25,197 - £27,242 per annum (effective from 01/04/2023) depending on experience and an annual leave entitlement of 22 days per annum plus Bank Holidays. Full Lantra certificated training will be given on a wide range of machinery.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- You would be working at one of the council’s two cemeteries (Stoke Cemetery at Stoughton Road/the Mount Cemetery Guildford) or at the crematorium on New Pond Road maintaining the grounds at these sites including mowing, strimming, weeding and litter picking
- Preparation of grave plots and undertaking burials in accordance with all relevant procedures.
- Interacting with funeral directors, stonemasons and the bereaved and assisting with enquiries from the public.
- Assisting occasionally with cleaning duties (i.e. the chapels) if required
- Assisting with relevant deliveries i.e. transporting fuel, grave shoring etc. between sites.
- Occasional cover for the cremator technician and or chapel attendant which will involve operation of the cremators (Full certificated training will be given).
What you need to succeed in this role:
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- A proactive approach, with good administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels.
- Attention to detail
- Strong commitment to undertake relevant training.
- Ability to follow written procedures and service standards.
- An understanding of the needs of the bereaved and ability to act accordingly
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills with the ability to take the initiative.
This job involves a degree of physical effort - please see attached job profile for further details
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Natasha Precious Bereavement Services Lead on 01483 444711
Previous applicants need not apply.