Overview and Scrutiny Officer
Want to help deliver great value for residents?
We’re always looking at better, more modern and smarter ways of supporting councillors to scrutinise services which benefit our residents. We review things that really matter, such as how we treat our care leavers to implementing food waste collection in flats. We focus on things that improve council services and have a positive impact on our community’s day-to-day life. You’re going to have a big impact on what we do, so you’ll be trusted to take ownership of your work. By helping others to deliver better today we will create a better tomorrow for Bracknell Forest residents.
What it's like working in our team...
We are a small team who work closely together to make sure we provide the best support to elected councillors, by working with officers across the Council, to deliver an effective overview and scrutiny function. Sometimes the work is challenging but you’ll have time to find creative solutions and every day is different.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training...
- planning the scope of review activities and supporting their delivery by researching good practice, keeping abreast of new legislation, co-ordinating attendance of witnesses, writing agendas and minutes
- drafting often complex reports with clear evidence-based recommendations
- providing advice to councillors, senior officers and external partners
You will be given training in
- how to carry out scrutiny reviews
- how to use our meeting agenda and minutes publication software
- how to manage and stream meetings
The benefits you will experience are...
- An inclusive working environment
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses
- Internal sports and social club opportunities
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre (The Lexicon)
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership
- Supermarket discount
- Wide range of discounts across the UK’s favourite high street and online retailers
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket
What we're looking for...
We are looking for a highly self-motivated, enthusiastic and reliable person who is able to achieve excellent results under pressure. You will have good organisational and communication skills with the confidence to build effective relationships with senior politicians, officers and partners. Knowledge of overview and scrutiny practices is not essential but being adaptable with a ‘can-do’ attitude is. The role demands curiosity and determination to support councillors to explore issues thoroughly as well as the ability to produce clear and concise written reports and briefings in an accessible way. You will need to be willing to work evening hours to attend meetings as required.
Interviews will be held on 22 March or 29 March. This is to be confirmed.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role, please contact:
Name: Louise Connelly
Job title: Team Leader: Overview & Scrutiny
Phone number: 01344 354047
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
Any candidates wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.