Caretaker (East Hoathly CE Primary School & Nursery)
Hours of work: 12.5 hours per week
Working pattern: Part-time
(As the position is part-time only, the above salary will be pro rata)
Closing date: Wednesday 19 April 2023
For more information and to apply for the above post, please contact: East Hoathly CE Primary School & Nursery, Church Marks Lane, East Hoathly, BN8 6EQ
Phone: 01825 840247
Please note, we do not accept CVs.
This post is covered by the Childcare Disqualification Regulations 2018.
The school will need to ensure that they are not knowingly employing a person who is disqualified under the 2018 Regulations in connection with relevant childcare provision. Accordingly, the successful candidate will be required to demonstrate to the school, by completing a self-declaration form as part of the pre-employment checks process, that they
have not been disqualified under the 2018 Regulations.
If the preferred candidate is found to be disqualified under the 2018 Regulations, the offer of employment will be subject to the application by the preferred candidate to Ofsted for a waiver and the receipt of a waiver from Ofsted.
About the role
We are a federation of 4 small schools set in beautiful rural locations and are looking for a dedicated Caretaker to help keep our East Hoathly site looking its best.
- Maintaining clean, safe and secure school premises, which includes buildings and grounds
- Carrying out cleaning, handy person activities, routine maintenance and refurbishment, porterage, and minor repairs
- Maintain the general school premises, furniture and fittings, and reporting any issues to the School Business Managers and Headteacher
- Maintain the security of the school premises as the main key holder
- Lock and unlock the premises as required, including out of school hours when necessary;
- Set Security alarm systems, report any potential security breaches, and respond to any alarm call outs following agreed procedures
- Carry out regular checks of alarm systems, locks, fire safety appliances, security gates and perimeter fencing, and ensure any necessary repairs are actioned
- Advise Headteacher & School Business Manager all matters relating to school security and safety. Ensure a safe working and learning environment in accordance with relevant legislation
- Carry out and record regular health and safety checks, including legionella risk, play equipment, safety equipment, and any hazards on school premises, report any issues to School Business Manager or Headteacher
- Previous caretaking experience within a school environment is desirable - although training via ESCC will be given
- Previous experience of building maintenance / basic DIY and an understanding of health & safety regulations will be useful
- Good interpersonal skills to protect the school's interests in dealing with contractors and other visitors to the site
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Must be willing to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check prior to commencing work.
We warmly welcome visits to our school, please contact the School Business Manager by email: email@example.com to book an appointment.
Closing Date for applications: Wednesday 19 April 2023
Interview Date: TBC
Work Permits: we may be able to obtain a Work Permit for this post but this is subject to meeting the requirements of the UK Border Agency’s Points-based Immigration System.
Due to the restrictions we cannot guarantee that individuals that meet the requirements of the Points-based Immigration System will be issued with clearance to obtain work permits.
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All staff will be expected to hold or be willing to obtain Enhanced DBS check or Enhanced check for Regulated Activity with the Disclosure & Barring Services (previously the Criminal Records Bureau). For further information about what is required in this process please go to www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check.
All school based staff have the responsibility for promoting the safeguarding and welfare of children. All school staff should be aware of the school’s Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy and work in accordance with this document at all times.
East Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitable candidates, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. All applications are treated on merit.