Engineer (Career Grade) Development Implementation
Starting salary: Career Graded JG7 – JM2 :- £31,099 - £38,296 per annum
Location: Based in Castlewood, Clevedon
Hours: 37 hours per week
Closing date: Thursday 30 March 2023
Career Grade JG7 – JM2 (£31,099 - £38,296)
North Somerset Council has a wide-ranging programme of urban regeneration and transport improvement schemes. A Career Grade engineer is required to assist in the delivery of developer-led schemes covered under S38 and S278 road agreements.
The role will be to assist the Lead and Principal Engineers in the technical implementation of highway works, ensuring that all planning obligations are met whilst the delivery of the adoptable infrastructure is being built. You will assist in and administer the following areas dependant on your experience and qualifications.
Typical duties will include:
- Carrying out technical reviews of designers Section 38 and Section 278 submissions, managing the technical approval process, issuing APC notices and certificates of completion as the roadworks progress under the formal and informal road agreements.
- Ensuring the efficient delivery of the Highways Development Implementation works covered under Section 278, 38 and S106 agreements. Oversee the construction of new roadworks and improvement works within the existing public highway, working alongside the Council’s Clerk of Works.
- Review road safety audits and respond to designer’s responses at all stages of the design and construction process in accordance with highway standards.
- Undertake engineering assessments of outline highway design proposals and provide the relevant information in report form and make suitable recommendations.
- Undertake regular visits to sites to meet with contractors and developers to ensure the smooth running of construction projects, confirming design and testing requirements and that construction and procedures meet the Council’s requirements.
- Preparing Traffic Regulation Orders and other Licences, serving Statutory Highway notices in connection with the Highways Development Implementation Works.
- Instigate and co-ordinate the necessary legal and technical procedures across the Council and its partners required to enable developers to enter into legal agreements as directed by senior staff.
- Administering payments and repayments of supervision and bond fees. Including the processing of technical approval/design check fees associated with road agreements.
- Ensure that adoptable assets are captured and records distributed within the Council to the relevant teams, to ensure on-going statutory inspections and maintenance requirements.
- Provide assistance to the Council’s Highways Searches team, developers and their consultants and solicitors in respect of all highway matters related to the scheme/roadworks and highway assets.
- Responding to correspondence and advising developer’s, solicitors, residents and councillors on matters relating to highway road agreements and the roadworks.
You will also need an awareness of the following;
The Private Street Works Code (PSWC) and Part 2A the adoption of a private street after the execution of works (Section 228)
The Advance Payments Code (APC)
S177 Licences for developers building over the highway
Stopping up the highway under Section 247 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 or an extinguishment of highway rights, via section 116 of the Highways Act.
As a minimum, The post holder should have appropriate experience of Highways , Eng Tech, HNC level (NVQ level4 or equivalent) in a relevant subject and have achieved or be working towards relevant professional status.
The Council operates a Career Grade system the successful candidate will be offered the grade appropriate to their qualifications and experience.
Driving is an essential requirement of the role. You must hold a valid driving licence
Want to know more and apply?
For an informal discussion, please contact Colin Chandler Lead Engineer Development Management on 07776 170282.
Visit www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-services/jobs-training/council-jobs to download an application pack and apply online.
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 05 April 2023
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.