Casual Minibus and Car Drivers
Would you like to join a local authority committed to improving residents' quality of life?
West Sussex County Council (WSCC) operate a range of home to school and adults services transport routes across the County.
As part of our team, you will enable vulnerable people to achieve the best possible personal outcomes. You will do this by providing a reliable and consistent, safe transport service.
We're looking for people with an outward looking, caring and professional approach. The ideal person will naturally go above and beyond; acknowledging that our passengers value a friendly face and someone who is thoughtful and considerate.
Sound like an opportunity you would be interested in, Read more.
About The Job
We are looking for Minibus and Car Drivers to join our School Transport team based across the county.
Salary Range: £12.09 - £12.37 per hour (includes annual leave element).
Work Location: Broad Bridge Heath Depot, Horsham.
Hours per week: Casual Hours (Split Shift: 7am -10am / 2pm - 5pm).
We will review applications on a rolling basis therefore, you will be contacted within 2 weeks of your application.
As a School Minibus/Car Driver, you will provide an efficient driving service to children and young adult passengers. You will follow instructions in accordance with specified schedules to ensure West Sussex meets its commitments to customers.
You will undertake driving duties of an allocated vehicle of 4 - 16 seats to and from a variety of locations, using a high level of professionalism in a safe and appropriate way. You will communicate effectively with passengers, build trusting relationships and drive considerately in accordance with the Highway Code regulations.
This is a rewarding role, giving you the opportunity to broaden your experience in many areas in a lively customer facing environment. You will also undertake the following courses:
- Disability Awareness & Epilepsy Awareness.
- First Aid.
- Wheelchair tie down procedures.
- Challenging Behaviour as required.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to drive safely and considerately in accordance with the Highway Code regulations.
- Ability to communicate successfully with colleagues and passengers, build trusting relationships and exercising persuasive skills.
- Ability to resolve straightforward problems.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills gained through education or through relevant experience.
- Valid UK driving licence.
- Driving licence including category D1 or PCV. Desirable
- Experience of working with people with disabilities. Desirable
- Experience of operating a tail lift/ramp safely and securing wheelchairs on the vehicle. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
Our values and support for one another is intrinsic to everything we do and will be a key priority within the assessment for this post. We care hugely about wellbeing, allowing time for a good laugh, and developing our team to be the best they can be. Alongside this, we also offer the below benefits.
- A competitive pay.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
Struggling to apply? Book onto a Computer Buddy Session in a library near you to get help navigating our application form.