Social Workers (Family Safeguarding East & West)
West Berkshire Council: Keeping children at the centre
Our Children and Family Services’ social care workforce is expanding.
We have an exciting opportunity for Social Workers to join our East and West Family Safeguarding Teams.
Who we are:
You will be joining an established safeguarding locality team, working in collaboration with other Social Workers and Family Support Workers, as well as specialist workers who support adults around Domestic Abuse, Substance Misuse and Mental Health, to offer group-based interventions.
We use the Family Safeguarding Model to provide the support families need to make sustained change, with different professionals working as one team, to keep more children safely at home with their families. We have a strong emphasis on relationship-based practice and aim to work with children, young people and their parents and carers in a way which recognises and builds on their strengths and keeps families together.
Our Family Safeguarding Service consists of two locality teams, one based in Calcot and the other in Newbury. We are committed to getting it right for our children and young people. We have great staff doing amazing work; we believe in investing in people to develop their skills and knowledge to achieve their full potential.
The benefits for you:
- A golden hello payment of £3k after one year in post
- A retention payment of £2k after two years of service
- A further retention payment of £3k, plus a four week paid sabbatical after three years’ service
- Flexible Working: West Berkshire has adopted a Hybrid Working Policy, which allows employees to split their time between attending the workplace and working remotely
- Free Parking
- Social Work England registration fees reimbursed
- Dedicated employee wellbeing service
- Regular and high quality reflective supervision.
- Approachable and visible senior leadership
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous annual leave allowance, plus an additional 5 days leave after 5 years continuous local authority service
- Staff benefits and discount scheme
- Relocation package of up to £8000 for individuals moving from outside a 30 mile radius (subject to eligibility)
- Blue Light card fees reimbursed
You will have successfully completed your ASYE and will be a skilled, experienced and reflective social worker. You will have a strong understanding of the application of social work theory, methods and interventions, as well as evidence-based assessment skills. You will have ethical qualities and will demonstrate commitment to influence, support and inspire anti-oppressive and creative practice.
To find out more about the Family Safeguarding Model of working contact Sonia Harris (Service Manager) on 01635 519785.
For more information on working for West Berkshire Council's Children and Family Services, a 'Good' authority, visit www.westberks.gov.uk/socialwork
How to Apply
Please complete an online application form.
Where possible please use Google Chrome as your preferred internet browser to complete your online application form. This system no longer supports the use of Internet Explorer as a browser which will cause issues when trying to submit your application.
This role requires the incumbent to have a car available at work to undertake his/her duties as they will be expected to undertake at least 1500 business miles per year. Essential Car User status attracts a lump sum allowance paid on a monthly basis as well as a free car parking space if he/she works at one of the Council’s corporate buildings.
This role has been identified as public facing in accordance with Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2017; the requirement to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence in English applies.
West Berkshire Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all its staff and volunteers to share these values. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. Successful candidates will be offered employment subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks along with other relevant employment checks.
This privacy notice applies to job applicants applying for vacancies with West Berkshire Council https://info.westberks.gov.uk/pnapplications