Financial Hardship Assessment Officer
12-month fixed-term contract
We’re passionate about supporting our community. Come and join a team who put the customer at the centre of everything we do.
We know that the Pandemic, and the current cost of living pressures, have had a huge impact on the financial position and wellbeing of the local community. We are taking proactive steps to deliver person centred support to those facing financial hardship and this role will be directly responsible for providing advice, guidance and where appropriate, administering financial support.
In this role, you will be working directly with residents affected by financial hardship. You will be a point of contact for residents who may be facing very difficult financial circumstances and looking to you for very practical help and support.
Because we're Bracknell Forest.
What it’s like working in our team…
You will be part of the Welfare Service, a small but high performing, busy department within the Council where we put our customers at the centre of what we do. You will have daily contact with residents through all channels including face-to-face where this is best suited to their needs.
Directly supporting our administration of the Household Support Fund and Bracknell’s Local Welfare Scheme, you will be part of a team focussed on the identification of households in need, making decision on applications, assisting with accessing other forms of support, helping with benefit applications where necessary and supporting our residents who are experiencing significant financial hardship with very real and practical help.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
- To assess applications for the Local Welfare Scheme or other hardship funding such as the Household Support Fund.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of financial hardship and the options for support in the borough, including those available from outside the Local Authority itself, and the mechanisms for accessing this support .
- To respond to customer enquires across a multitude of platforms including, face-to-face, telephone, or on-line, always promoting self-service and digital channels where appropriate
- To maintain a good working knowledge of and keep up to date with, government policies relating to Benefits legislation including Universal Credit eligibility criteria and working practices in the administration of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support and Local Welfare in order to provide the highest quality advice and signposting or assistance with applications where needed.
- Maintain accurate computerised records of data collected in respect of the administration and payment of local welfare applications, exercising discretion in relevant areas as necessary.
The benefits you will receive are…
- Professional subscription fees met by the Service (IRRV only)
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre (The Lexicon).
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we’re looking for…
We are looking for someone who has a passion for people and a drive to deliver a service focussed on supporting residents facing hardship. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate, negotiate and be persuasive, both verbally and in writing with a diverse range of people are an absolute must. If you are able to think of innovative or creative solutions for individuals and work as part of a holistic approach to financial hardship, we would love to hear from you.
This role will be offered as a secondment, should the successful candidate is internal.
Week commencing 27 March 2023. We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Name: Yvonne Slater
Job Title: Senior Debt and Money Adviser
Phone Number: 01344 351335
Name: Sharon Warner
Job Title: Head of Welfare
Phone Number: 01344 351346
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified
Any candidates wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.