Call Screening Officer - Out of Hours
We care about the wellbeing of Berkshire residents and our dedicated out of hours social care provision helps us to protect some of our most vulnerable residents. We are a specialist team of Approved Mental Health Professionals, Child Care Practitioners, Adult Safeguarding Officers and Screening Officers. We work with our health colleagues, the police and families to assess and assist people experiencing a health or social care crisis out of hours. It’s a challenging role. But you will have excellent support from the management team and expert guidance on hand whenever you need it. You’ll also have the time to go above and beyond, along with the chance to express your ideas about how we can make our service even better.
The Berkshire Emergency Duty Service (hosted by Bracknell Forest Council) is a unique service providing out of hours emergency social care for the whole of Berkshire. We are proud of our community. The care we give. The services we provide. The links and networks we create. But we’re always looking to do more. Which is why we give our people the time, support and resources they need not only to do their job well, but also to help define the way we do things more broadly. There’ll always be room for your ideas here. This is about taking ownership and having the opportunity to learn, develop and progress. Together, we make big things happen, but we’re also focused on the smaller things that make all the difference. And that’s as true for our employees as it is for our residents. We have strong teams and excellent manager relationships. Expert advice is there whenever you need it. Put simply, a career with us means having everything you need to build on your skills. To build better relationships. To build even better communities. This is your chance to make a lasting impact.
What it’s like working in our team…
This is an exciting time to be joining the service as we have recently remodelled our service structure. EDS is already seen as a safe and effective service, safeguarding the children and vulnerable adults of Berkshire and has received positive feedback from both Ofsted and CQC. In what other team could you work with so many professionals who are all experts in crisis intervention and specialists within their own field of social work and health?
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
You will be supported to work as a part of a varied and dedicated team in an environment that will provide you with the opportunity to develop new skills as a frontline screening officer.
- To be part of the team providing crisis social work intervention
- To act as first point of contact for members of the public and partner agencies
- To process and screen incoming referrals
- To undertake database checks
- Provide accurate signposting information
- To be prepared to undertake training for Appropriate Adult role
The benefits you will experience are…
- An attractive and competitive salary with generous annual leave
- Regular individual supervision and reflective peer group support led by a qualified practitioner
- Hybrid working ie. a balance of remote and office working
- Training and the opportunity to develop other learning within social care
- An inclusive and social working environment
- Internal sports and social club opportunities
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership
- Supermarket discount
What we’re looking for…
A Screening Officer who has the following:
- Excellent oral / telephone and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise and organise work effectively
- Good ICT competency
- Recognition of own prejudices
- Capacity to deal with unrestricted demand & be a team player
- Competency in recording accurate and succinct information
- Willingness to challenge professionals and public
- Work and communicate in a professional manner
- Emotional intelligence
- Investigative curiosity
- Is proactive
- Passion for social justice
- Prepared to work unsociable hours
Applications will be shortlisted upon receipt and an interview offered at a mutually agreeable time.
Bracknell Forest Council reserves the right to close this vacancy at an earlier date if a suitable candidate is found.
Want to ask us a question?
If you believe you have what it takes to work for a fast moving, diverse and dynamic service and would like further information or an informal discussion, please telephone Shelli Read, Business Manager for the Emergency Duty Service or Linda Andrew, Team Manager on 01344 355050 (please note this phone number is only available between 9am-5pm).
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
Any candidates wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.