Celebrating and preserving the unique cultural and environmental character of the borough is a major focus of this department, which includes Planning and Borough Development, Transport and Highways, Libraries, Environmental Health, Community Safety and Cleaner, Greener and Cultural Services. Kensington and Chelsea is one of London's most vibrant and densely populated boroughs, with a multitude of beautiful buildings, museums and parks. The planning team ensure any new building projects are undertaken with consideration to our residents, as well as our skyline. If you are passionate about the environment, and the support services required to keep it safe, clean and green, take a look at our vacancies and join our dedicated team.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is one of the most culturally and economically diverse boroughs in London. The Royal Borough is less than 5 square miles in area, so you are never far from a famous landmark or a high profile business. Large scale events include the Notting Hill Carnival and the Chelsea Flower Show. This diversity presents interesting housing challenges as we try to protect our residents and improve housing conditions in the private rented sector.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Private Sector Housing Team for a Principal Housing and Health Practitioner. You will assist the with Team Manager in monitoring the quality and performance of housing functions and supervise officers. Working to work alongside our established team you’ll be responsible for carrying a workload of complex cases, leading on prosecutions and enforcement work and participating in listening events for our residents, landlords and owners of properties.
- As a qualified, confident and motivated individual you will have experience in managing complex housing cases, inspecting large properties to ensure compliance, gather evidence.
- You will have recent experience in taking enforcement action and attending court and first tier tribunals
- You will have experience of advising senior managers, managers, employees and service users in particular on housing matters and interpreting legislation.
When applying, please ensure you complete all sections of the application form and attach a CV to support your application where applicable.
- To deputise for the Team Manager and provide cover as required to ensure that regulatory front line services are maintained and delivered to a high standard and in the absence of a Team Manager be the main point of contact for the specialist areas.
- To prepare committee reports, key decision reports, responses to Government White Papers, draft circulars and Member enquiries as directed by the Team Manager.
- To manage and supervise staff as directed by the Team Manager and assist in monitoring the quality and performance of housing workstreams and review of staff performances
- To be responsible for ensuring that the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea discharge their statutory obligations in respect of the appropriate function. These functions are in the regulatory area of private sector housing enforcement and licensing of houses in multiple occupation.
- To ensure residential accommodation within Kensington and Chelsea is safe and healthy to live in, free of housing hazards
- To ensure that houses in multiple occupation are appropriately managed and licensed where appropriate.
- To improve the quality of housing by increasing the number of private sector houses in decent condition that are currently occupied by vulnerable groups, by identifying and regulating the use of HMOs so that standards in the poorest quality properties are improved and implementing the Affordable Warmth Strategy
- To assist in the delivery and implementation of a wide range of projects relating to the Boroughs Private Sector Renewal Strategy and, in partnership with other organisations, assist in the development of new initiatives to improve energy efficiency, address housing inequalities and improve housing standards.
- To work with, assist and support officers from other disciplines to ensure the Borough meets the residents and visitors needs.
- Travel allowance equal to zone 1 and 2 annual season ticket after one year’s continuous service with the Council
- Generous Annual Leave (30 days, rising to 33 after 10 years Local Authority service)
- Staff discounts including free swimming
- Local Authority pension scheme
- Professional fees paid
Contact details for an informal discussion: Anju Sidhu, Team Manager Housing on 020 7341 5658 or via email on Anju.email@example.com
Interview date: W/C 16thSeptember 2019.
Closing date: 30 August 2019.