Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
We are looking to recruit a Clerk of Works/ Construction Site Inspector to join the Capital Programme Works Service. The Clerk of Works will work closely with the Construction Quality Manager, Senior Managers and Programme Managers leading the inspection and monitoring on all construction activities on multiple projects.
As an employee of the London Borough of Hillingdon you will play a key role in delivering our Capital Programme across corporate, educational, community and housing stock.
The Key responsibilities are:
- Site inspections and monitoring of construction works and materials
- Planning and managing construction projects
- Assisting, instructing and advising contractors on site
- Liaising effectively with suppliers, contractors and customers
- Attending site meetings and maintaining accurate records for reports
- Carrying out work-monitoring visits and post-work sign-off inspections
- Investigating and resolving any defect/repair-related queries from the end users and contractors.
- Delivering schemes that meet the Council’s design, quality and sustainability objectives in line with procurement and financial procedures.
- Ensuring projects are carried out in accordance with the Council’s Specifications, Requirements, Design Details and relevant Legislation and Standards.
- Identifying improvements to current ways of working to deliver a more effective and efficient service for residents
This position is based at the Civic Centre and the candidate will be expected to visit sites throughout the Borough and occasionally outside the Borough.
About the Capital Programme Works Service
As London's second largest borough and home to Heathrow, the world's busiest international airport we have a challenging, high profile and unique agenda; against which we are committed to improving the service we deliver to our local residents. With around 1600 corporate buildings and Council managed housing stock of over 13,000 properties, the key objectives for the Capital Programme Works Service are to: • Invest in schools to ensure that accommodation and facilities provide a good environment for learning for the increasing number of students
• Deliver a range of housing, community and other buildings for residents, working closely at times with partners across the Borough
• Maximise the commercial opportunities of the Council’s property and land assets
About the person
We are looking for individuals with good experience of working within the construction industry and a good all round building knowledge. Crucially with the ability to effectively inspect, monitor and report on multiple programmes of work and communicate between project leads, stakeholders, teams and clients. The ideal candidate would have a trade or technical background. The successful candidate would be expected to use their own vehicle and will receive mileage at the HMRC rate. You must have a full clean UK or equivalent driving licence. You will have a can-do attitude, excellent communication skills and have the ability to work in a fast paced, target driven environment. Due to the nature of the work you must be flexible in meeting business needs and from time to time you may be required to work additional hours to ensure project delivery. You will also be organised, solutions focussed and comfortable taking responsibility for tasks and delivering results. You will be expected to manage your projects along with liaising with consultants and consultants, including reporting as required to senior management. Involvement in projects can be from the initial concept through to completion. Oversee construction quality ensuring the project is delivered safely, efficiently, and within the development goals. An end-to-end experience, long term work on a variety projects. This job opportunity is ideal for you if you have the required skill set and would like to gain wider knowledge and experience within the Capital Programme Works Services.