Please note that these vacancies are countywide
We are seeking for a pool of experienced Maths and English tutors to support our work with young people who are not in full time education and require additional support in helping them achieve.
We would welcome applicants from across Essex who can work creatively with hard to engage students on a 1-1 or small groupwork. This will be on an 'as and when' basis for defined periods of study support and learning.
- Design and submit a scheme of work with identified learning outcomes for each course to be delivered using the Service's set format
- Prepare session/lesson plans utilising a variety of teaching/training methods, accommodating different learning styles
- Teach on programmes, managing the learning process effectively, guiding and supporting learners
- Use effective materials and appropriate resources, at a pace and level which meet learners' needs
- Use assessments to identify learner achievements, additional support requirements and make referrals as appropriate
- Give feedback to learners to support and inform the learning process
- Check regularly that teaching/training is meeting learners' needs and that effective learning is taking place; modify session/lesson plans and teaching/training delivery accordingly. Work with Youth Workers where appropriate to monitor, evaluate and improve the effectiveness of learning
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the level and accountabilities of the post as directed by the Head of the Service
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- Subject specific qualification or proven expertise in subjects for Maths, English and ICT
- Nationally recognised Level 4 teaching qualification
- Excellent level of numeracy, literacy (GCSE A - C or equivalent or demonstrable experience) and ICT
- Prepared to train to national standards, register with the Institute for Learning (IFL) and undertake required continuing professional development (CPD) appropriate for their role
- Ability to work across Essex as per service needs
- Ability to undertake evening, weekend, residential work as required in order to meet service needs
- New tutors who do not possess a recognised teaching qualification are required to obtain a threshold qualification within the first year of taking up their appointment e.g. City and Guilds 6302 Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector followed by the completion of a teaching qualification appropriate for their role, within five years of taking up their appointment e.g. Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector or Certificate in Education. Skills for Life tutors are also required to gain a subject specialist qualification in Numeracy, Literacy or ESOL.
The job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Depending on the geographical area, access to a vehicle or another efficient mode of transport will be required.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will not apply to this assignment.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.