Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
This role is part of Adult Community Learning (ACL), the largest provider of adult learning in Essex, offering a wide range of courses and qualifications.
ACL are seeking to recruit a tutor to deliver Science courses delivering on the Access to Higher Education course on an as and when basis (subject to curriculum needs), to design, plan, deliver and evaluate high quality learning opportunities and experiences for learners in response to their identified needs.
We are looking for delivery in the Basildon area with possible travel to Colchester and Maldon where needed.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* Motivate and inspire learners to promote achievement and develop their skills to enable progression
* Plan and deliver effective learning programmes for diverse groups or individuals in a safe and inclusive environment, following ACL safeguarding procedures
* Promote the benefits of technology and support learners in its use
* Address the mathematics and English needs of learners and work creatively to overcome individual barriers to learning
* Enable learners to share responsibility for their own learning and assessment, setting goals that stretch and challenge
* Apply appropriate and fair methods of assessment and provide constructive and timely feedback to support progression and achievement
* Maintain and update your teaching / training expertise, vocational competence and digital skills
* Contribute to organisational development and quality improvement through collaboration with others
* To initially assess learners' starting points and monitor their progress, set challenging tasks and objectives, and build on and extend learning for all learners.
* To support learners to develop personal, social and employability skills in order for them to progress into further learning or jobs that meet local and national needs. * Subject specific qualification or proven expertise in subject
* Teaching / training experience
* Nationally recognised teaching qualification (or be prepared to work towards achieving threshold qualifications within the first year of service e.g City and Guilds Award in Education and Training
* Competent user of ICT
* Ability to inspire, motivate and raise aspirations of learners through your enthusiasm and knowledge
* Good understanding of social and cultural diversity, equality of opportunity and inclusion and safeguarding
* Minimum of Level 2 in English and maths
* A1 assessors award (preferable)
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on 033 005 83330*
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.