If you live here, work here or just visit, you will already know Reading is a great place and at Reading Borough Council we’re dedicated to making it even better. Key to this is ensuring our workforce is equipped for the challenge – this is where you come in.
About the role
The responsibility of a Voids and Lettings Officer is to ensure the timely letting of all vacant homes owned and managed by Reading Borough Council. This will include managing information for those included on Homechoice at Reading (Housing Register), ensuring that this information is always up to date and relevant. It includes the assessment of priority for all applicants and shortlisting applicants for our vacant homes. You will be viewing empty homes with prospective tenants and offering accommodation to those from the Housing Register. This role will also include some project work and we are always looking for ideas to streamline and improve the service we provide.
We are looking for:
- A self-motivated individual who gets job satisfaction from meeting targets.
- Someone who is organised and has the ability to juggle many tasks
- Someone who can interpret data and who can use their skills to promote our homes and service.
If you feel that you have the skills as described in the person specification but do not have any previous experience, we would still like to hear from you. Please ensure that you tell us how you feel that you meet the points in the person specification on your application form.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme(LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club - organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
- Eye care - help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
- Relocation scheme offering up to £8,000 towards the cost of relocating permanently to Reading (only for approved posts)
For more information about these roles or for an informal discussion please contact: Sarah Hennessy, Assistant Housing Needs Manager on 01189 73920.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Please be aware that for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Internal Reading Borough Council employees must login via Employee Self Service to apply. If you have not yet been issued with your Employee Self Service account, or you have any queries, please email EmployeeSelfService@reading.gov.ukwith details.
Interview date: Week commencing 15 July 2019
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change