London Borough of Bexley
Management Grouping: Education to Employment
Department/Section: Learning & Enterprise College Bexley
Job title: Part-time sessional tutor
Reports to: Relevant Curriculum and Quality Manager (CQM) or Programme Manager (PM)
Purpose of the job:
• Planning and delivering teaching, learning and assessment in line with external syllabi or College-agreed curricula including appropriate and timely completion of associated documentation such as course outlines, schemes of work, lesson plans, ILPs and progress records.
• Write course outlines, interview potential students and conduct initial and diagnostic assessments.
• Undertake course planning in consultation with the Senior Manager responsible for TLA and the relevant C&QM, including submission of scheme(s) of work and lesson plans and sharing these with other team members.
• Establish a purposeful learning environment in which diversity is valued and students feel safe and confident.
• Set challenging teaching and learning objectives that are relevant to the course and needs of students.
• Manage the learning process effectively, guiding and supporting students, differentiating teaching to meet the needs and interests of students and ensure that students are appropriately challenged and supported.
• Agree individual learning plans with students including SMART course and personal targets, monitor and review them regularly and provide meaningful medals and mission type feedback to students.
• Develop resources to support both classroom-based and flipped, independent, out-of-classroom learning making use of digital technology and the College VLE.
• Plan additional support for students liaising with the Student Support Adviser, as necessary.
• Plan opportunities for students, with other staff where relevant, to learn in out of classroom contexts such as placements, volunteering, visits to the library, museums and employment-based settings etc.
• Systematically assess students’ work giving timely and developmental feedback on progress to support students as they learn.
• Involve students in reflecting on, evaluating and improving their own performance.
• Keep accurate records of punctuality, attendance, assessment and learner progress making reports as required.
• Keep up to date with internal and external assessments and examinations, including the keeping of appropriate records and completion of returns.
• Assist with internal and external assessments, exams and standardisation.
• Comply with LECB Quality Improvement Framework and the Transformational and Inspirational TLA Framework and work with the relevant Curriculum and Quality Manager on a personal improvement plan to maintain or improve performance to outstanding.
• Work collaboratively with the Careers Service Team to ensure learners receive effective information and advice on progression to further study, employment and into volunteering.
• Regularly review and evaluate course and own performance with the TLA manager and effectively and actively engage on the College’s Observation of Teaching, Learning and Assessment (OTLA) process
• Contribute to course team meetings sharing best practice.
• Undertake Health & Safety, Equality & Diversity, Safeguarding, Prevent and Data Protection/GDPR training, maintaining awareness of key risk issues within the curriculum area and escalate any concerns to the relevant member of staff.
• Comply with the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers in Education and Training