Trainee Revenue Officer (Council Tax), RB019
Grade 4-5, £22,630 to £27,608 (inclusive of local weighting), full time, 37 hours per week, permanent. Based in Wallfields, Hertford. Closing date is 07/06/19 at 17:00.
About the role
An opportunity for a Trainee Revenue Officer has become available to work at Hertford as part of the Council Tax team. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career as we are working on the automation of discount and exemptions, text reminders, and promoting self-service and refining the new customer arrangements module, so contributing to the council's digital agenda.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for customer service and getting it right first time. If successful you will assist across all aspects of the Council Tax for the service including dealing with customer queries face to face, by telephone, and in writing.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
At level 1:
- To support the shared service managers in all aspects of the shared services functions and operation.
- To gain full working knowledge of relevant legislation and IT applications to enable the efficient carrying out of the duties attached to the post.
- To learn to answer and deal with telephone, written or face to face enquiries from customers and stakeholders, as appropriate, providing explanations and clarification of decisions and actions taken and general advice and guidance relating to legislation, policy and procedures e.g....
At level 2:
- To ensure a full working knowledge of relevant legislation and IT applications to enable the efficient carrying out of the duties attached to the post.
- To answer and deal with telephone, written or face to face enquiries from customers and stakeholders, as appropriate, providing explanations and clarification of decisions and actions taken and general advice and guidance relating to legislation, policy and procedures.
- To actively encourage the take-up of available benefits, allowances and discounts.
- To identify possible irregularities in benefit claims and refer these cases to the Fraud Team.
- To assist with the development and implementation of new working methods and systems.
- To maintain an up-to-date awareness of other welfare benefits and refer cases to Visiting Officers and Welfare and Money Advice agencies as appropriate
This role will suit a focused, enthusiastic and team player who welcomes the opportunity to learn and who enjoys change in order change in order to improve the delivery of the service.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Numeracy skills, including the ability to manipulate numerical data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a strong customer focus
- Experience in a similar environment
- Ability and willingness to help support and provide guidance, support and advice to less experienced staff
- Knowledge of Windows based office package
- Be able to work as part of a team, willing to assist others, but also take responsibility for own work as required
- Ability to prioritise and work accurately to targets and deadlines
- Good word processing and IT skills, including an ability to use an on-line computer system to interrogate and update data
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and be able to deal with a heavy and varied workload
- Be able to deal with difficult situations
- Ability to maintain concentration in a busy environment
- Work methodically, accurately and thoroughly, paying close attention to detail
- Ability to remain calm and focussed under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise and work accurately to targets and deadlines
- Ability to learn, all legislation and guidance appropriate to the post
- Be committed to developing customer service skills for dealing with members of the public, both face-to-face, phone and email or letter.
East Herts is consistently rated as amongst the best areas in the country to live, with excellent schools and healthcare, a huge array of green space, beautiful waterways, unique market towns and picturesque villages. We also enjoy high levels of employment and a diverse local economy.
The vision of the Council is to provide East Hertfordshire residents and businesses with a future that is prosperous and sustainable. In order to achieve this, a number of strategic objectives have been developed, which allow the Council in conjunction with its many partners to focus on the key issues that concern the residents of East Hertfordshire.
Whatever their role, everyone contributes to delivering great services to our local community. Our vision is to preserve the unique character of East Herts and ensure it remains one of the best places to live and work. To accomplish this, our focus is to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities, enhance the quality of people's lives and enable a flourishing local economy.
Our team is at the very heart of our council - we recognise that together with our elected members, we make the difference to our local communities. We are dedicated to staff development and individual success within a team framework. To help our staff deliver, we provide a supportive work environment, development opportunities and work to help everyone achieve their potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance.
Benefits of working for us
- A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working
- Flexi-time scheme
- Free tea and coffee
- Local Government pension scheme
- Generous annual leave
- A range of discounts including high street retailers and local leisure centres
- Professional environment where your career path really matters and your development is supported by the organisation
- Flexible and supportive team
As part of our Green Travel agenda we actively encourage employees to explore more economical and eco-friendly means of travel to work, e.g. public transport, cycle, walk or car share, and support this through a number of initiatives such as Liftshare.
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Graeme Reid, Revenues Manager, 01279 502127 or Julie Burrows on 01279 502120.
Closing date: 07 /06/2019 at 17:00. CVs will not be accepted.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity